Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thank you all for helping identify my Matilda as "not a started pullet." More and more every day the saddle feathers are coming in and look to be pointy and his comb is getting thicker like Elliott's. And to hear him crow a big full crow along with Elliott I am sure Matilda is a rooster. Question, I am on a farm so I can keep both roosters, but I am wondering if these two grow up together should they be ok staying together in one coop? Or will I have trouble with them fighting? The hatchery website says I can get a refund. I will be contacting them very soon.

Thank you all for helping identify my Matilda as "not a started pullet." More and more every day the saddle feathers are coming in and look to be pointy and his comb is getting thicker like Elliott's. And to hear him crow a big full crow along with Elliott I am sure Matilda is a rooster. Question, I am on a farm so I can keep both roosters, but I am wondering if these two grow up together should they be ok staying together in one coop? Or will I have trouble with them fighting? The hatchery website says I can get a refund. I will be contacting them very soon.

They should get along just fine as long as one agrees to be submissive to the other. Just watch them as they hit 6 months and make sure that the fighting does not turn into obsession. Mine have drawn blood with each other once and that usually settles who's on top. I can't believe they sent you him as a started "pullet," I can usually spot an EE roo by 8 weeks
hmm.png
Hatcheries do strange things sometimes.

Bummer... after reading this form it seems my EE chick below has a good chance of being a roo! Orange/red colors are starting to emerge on the shoulder area. Can someone please tell me it ain't so? How could a boy have those eyes....
sad.png

Bummer... after reading this form it seems my EE chick below has a good chance of being a roo! Orange/red colors are starting to emerge on the shoulder area. Can someone please tell me it ain't so? How could a boy have those eyes....
sad.png

Still too young. Wait till it feathers out more. Eight weeks is a good age to be sure.

Last edited:
sad.png

I agree - those eyes are too pretty to be a boy. Don't give up hope, it's still a little thing and those are pretty girlie looking legs and feet. At least I think they look feminine.

sad.png

Definitely too early! The red in this photo looks to be on the breast, which is actually more often a sign of a pullet than a cockerel. That combined with the brown partridge looking wings make me lean towards female. As it feathers out (5-8 weeks) we'll be able to give much better guesses.

Definitely too early! The red in this photo looks to be on the breast, which is actually more often a sign of a pullet than a cockerel. That combined with the brown partridge looking wings make me lean towards female. As it feathers out (5-8 weeks) we'll be able to give much better guesses.

X2 A side view would help in a couple of weeks.

Ok I'm pretty sure I have 2 Roos but can anyone tell me what These 3 are? I think hens but not positive.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom