Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

And this one

Shiro, how old are the chicks you posted? I can't see a definitive sex either way at this point. What about your other two makes you think they are cockerels? Can you post pics of them also?

Bummer... after reading this forum it seems my EE chick below has a good chance of being a roo! Orange/red colors are starting to emerge on the shoulder area. Can someone please tell me it ain't so? How could a boy have those eyes....
sad.png

I agree on the location of the rusty red being too far forward and low to be the "signature" of a male. From the pictures I've see, that area would be about where an arc from the beak through the eye and the black spot behind it down the shoulder would intersect with a line from the bird's right leg going through the red patch. And that bird is probably 2 weeks? Too early for the "cockerel red patch" I think. No guarantees of course. I also agree those aren't thick cockerel legs.

So
fl.gif
. Post more pictures in a week or so, I love seeing how EEs develop their final coloring. So NOT "normal" for most chickens.

Ok I'm pretty sure I have 2 Roos but can anyone tell me what These 3 are? I think hens but not positive.

Good question. What the heck IS that? Some kind of EE x "fluffy bird" cross?
Would have to see combs, though from what you've posted, nothing is obvious.

Shiro, how old are the chicks you posted? I can't see a definitive sex either way at this point. What about your other two makes you think they are cockerels? Can you post pics of them also?

I think they are all there, but one per post.

Bruce

. 3 wks. Sorry about separate post but I'm struggling with this I phone and posting pics. I know the other two are roosters because the combs are big and red plus they are huge compared to the other 3.

I'm only on page 93, and I'm trying to get caught up! I was hoping someone might be able to assist here. I have my suspicions (which usually prove correct) and like most, I hope they are wrong! Only because, like so many of us, we're not allowed roosters here. I'd LOVE to have one, if only I could, you know, train them to be quiet!
lau.gif

I have 2 white EEs. I was sold them as White Ameraucanas, both pullets. *sigh* The dark chicks in the photos are SLWs. All are 3.5 weeks old:

Moneypenny, pretty much 100% sure is a pullet. She's all white, with green legs.

Marigold, possibly, but hopefully not, Marvin. All white with slate legs. No other colors coming in.

Better view of Marigold/Marvin's comb:

Side by side

All these were taken under the brooder light, so there are some light fluctuations. I can see a tiny row of peas on Moneypenny's head, not so much of anything on Marigold's. The tails are obviously different, but over all Marigold/Marvin has better feathering, I think. No roostering behavior at all, other than two of my chicks jumping up on the waterer (though one of them is a definite pullet). But nothing else that "acts" rooster.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Kian, it's too early for anything but a guess. They don't have enough feathers yet to see the patterning on the one and the two white ones will either get dark red on their wing bows or they won't and you'll be waiting a while to say with any degree of certainty.

Back
Top Bottom