Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Alright peeps. 1st post. Been lurking for a while. Got six chicks about 6 1/2 weeks ago. 2 Easter Eggers, 2 BPR's, a RIR and a Cuckoo Marans. One of the Easter Eggers is starting concern me with her? size. Anyone want to give there expert opinion on whether she is a pullet or cockerel.

Here is my Penney.

Here is my Penney.
Welcome to BYC! Glad you stopped lurking! This thread was so helpful to me when I started out with an accidental EE cockerel that I try to return the favor for others.

Penney looks like a pullet. The comb seems small and pale (although a closer view would be good) and she has an evenly distributed color pattern. EEs seem to be fast growing, so can be larger than other breeds of the same age, but it kind of evens out in the end. Though you can see some darker gold, it doesn't look like the reddish color that the cockerels get, and it seems to be part of the overall color. If I seem a little hesitant it's only because I'd really like to see that comb.
smile.png
I still think it's a pullet.

I purchased two chicks that were said to be pulley ameraucana's but have been reading and I think they are EE's. I don't have a problem with them being EE's but I hope they are at least pullets. Here is a pic of each one so maybe someone else can tell me what they think...

Here is my Penney.
Welcome.
Penney looks like a pullet. Her feather pattern is even & her comb is very small - ie looks like a thin part of the feathers. Both are good signs for females. My EE lines seems to have thicker legs & mature a little faster than others. (I even had one start laying at only 17 weeks. 20-25 weeks is more common.)

I purchased two chicks that were said to be pulley ameraucana's but have been reading and I think they are EE's. I don't have a problem with them being EE's but I hope they are at least pullets. Here is a pic of each one so maybe someone else can tell me what they think...

Clearer pics from diff angles would help, but so far I do not see any male indicators. True Ameraucanas are rare & expensive. Usually they can only be obtained from a breeder who specializes in them. EEs are just as much fun & easy to get.

Definitely not standard Ameraucanas which do not have green legs nor come in that color. Probably EEs, although I hope the beards and muffs grow in for you because it makes them darn cute.

Most likely pullets, but a side view and close up of comb would help confirm. Also helpful to know the age.

Please excuse unsolicited advice, but when chicks are fully feathered they do not need a heat source except in extreme cold. So if that heat lamp is for them, you can save on electricity. They don't need it, especially indoors.
smile.png

Definitely not standard Ameraucanas which do not have green legs nor come in that color.  Probably EEs, although I hope the beards and muffs grow in for you because it makes them darn cute. 

Most likely pullets, but a side view and close up of comb would help confirm.  Also helpful to know the age.

Please excuse unsolicited advice, but when chicks are fully feathered they do not need a heat source except in extreme cold. So if that heat lamp is for them, you can save on electricity. They don't need it, especially indoors. :)

I have a few that just hatched that are 3 days old that I use the lamp for. The older ones are still in their box indoors because they are only 5 wks old and it has been quite cold out but it is starting to warm up so I hope to start giving them some outdoor time and letting the rest of my flock get used to them. But thanks for the advice I am always appreciative of all advice.

Back
Top Bottom