Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Ok, here's my EE chick. I'm not sure how old, because my partner who bought it didn't ask some very important questions when he bought it. I'm fairly sure it's less than 8wks though. Any ideas on gender?
DSCF0266.jpg

DSCF0265.jpg

Sorry if they are a little fuzzy, Tigga won't stay still.

Quote:
Looking like a rooster to me.

Thank you! That's what I've been thinking, but I wanted independant confermation.

I think boy and girl? What do you think? There is no other color on the B&W but it looks reall rooish....

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

And
photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

Quote:
Agreed...the black and white girls usually have more black on them and they have a pretty even feather pattern. Almost like the same black pattern you see on the gold and black one, only where the gold is would be white. With the males, there is more bright patches of white...especially on the wings and back.
smile.png

Quote:
I have got admit, this statement really had me worried for the last two months.

I am usually pretty good at sexing my chicks by at least by the age of 6 to 8 weeks. I was confident my light colored easter egger was a pullet until around 6 weeks old when it started getting yellows, oranges, and blues on the neck and shoulders and it looked similar to many of the light colored males on this thread. I am sorry I don't have any pictures from that age (we were in the middle of our tiny remodel and no time to photograph chickens for fun.)

Based on feather color alone, I began to doubt my pullet I.D. Around 13 weeks, I became really worried it was actually a cockerel because it started getting red splashes on the top of the wings. However, everything else still pointed to pullet: pale single row comb, thin legs, shy, no rooster saddle feathers. I usually give away my cockerels before they crow, but since I was unsure with this chicken, I decided to wait for a crow or an egg. Well, last weekend we got an egg! We were doing the Snoopy Happy Dance. None of my cochins lay green eggs so we are sure it was her.

Here is my Easter Egger pullet with red splashed wings...

At 4 days old:
20741_p1270455.jpg

At 13 weeks:
20741_p1280169.jpg

20741_p1280143.jpg

20741_p1280159.jpg

At 20 weeks old:
P1280818.jpg

P1280798.jpg

P1280782.jpg

Pictures of her green egg with 2 of my cochin eggs:
P1280760.jpg

I sure am glad I didn't get rid of her.

Last edited:
I had a few like that with the reddish shoulder and back feathers, but they still look different than the males.

Here's a couple shots of 2 of them them when they were pretty young:

EEchicks003.jpg

EEchicks005.jpg

And the same pullets at about 4 months of age:

004.jpg

EEs-16.jpg

These 3 are all cockerels with the dark red coming in on their shoulders:

roosters013.jpg

105weeks019.jpg

10weeksold0032.jpg

Last edited:

Back