Easter Egger vs ameraucana

Redhousecoops

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 15, 2019
C2485FFF-07BA-4BEB-A9A3-097C83661EBB.jpeg
04233F67-D266-4C51-8428-6B3C5CD66B35.jpeg
720AD72E-F0D4-4698-BC24-D9A722B09D32.jpeg
Hello! I bought a flock a little less than a year ago when I wanted hens that laid blue eggs. I was brand new (still am new) to chickens so I wasn’t concerned with the breeding. Now that I’m learning more, I’m getting more interested in true breeds and breed standards. I was told the flock I bought were true ameraucanas. I’ve now learned a lot of people sell birds labeled as that but are really Easter Eggers. So my question is, is there a way to tell if my guys are true ameraucanas or Easter Eggers? They have slate colored legs and muffs. Attached are pictures.
16FF37C8-2416-432F-A446-EF5A5A93E450.jpeg
C7B65E7A-BE0A-47B5-A2A2-D365825AB0D8.jpeg
B57167DA-8C3C-43E6-9CE9-1299BEC3E4DC.jpeg

They appear to be. The best way to tell is to go on the breeder's page and look at the SOP. You appear to have black, and blue... which the blue/splash/lavender ameraucana aren't recognized yet.

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/standard.html

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/gallery.html

Thanks for the links! Appreciate the response. Unfortunately I don’t know the Breeder. The lady I bought them from didn’t tell me and at the time I wasn’t that interested.

Thanks for the links! Appreciate the response. Unfortunately I don’t know the Breeder. The lady I bought them from didn’t tell me and at the time I wasn’t that interested.

LOL I didn't mean YOUR breeder, I meant the BREED's page... LOL I worded that wrong. That's what the links were for.

Blacks and Blues are APA accepted colors. Yours do appear to be Ameraucanas and not Easter Eggers. They look like good birds to get started with. They need some work to improve them. Hatch a lot, keep the best, cull the rest. Buy better birds to improve yours.
Thanks for the feedback! Haven’t decided if I want to dive into the world of breeding or not but it sure is tempting!

Thanks for the feedback! Haven’t decided if I want to dive into the world of breeding or not but it sure is tempting!

You don't have to go big to be a breeder. Even a good trio or quad could produce hundreds of chicks a year. But a breeders reputation depends on quality not quantity.

Agreed, they may be Ameraucanas but bad representation of SOP for AMs. The comb on the rooster is too large, your blue AMs doesn't have a good color, feet color for all your AMs can be darker. They should be fun to have though. If you get serious in owning them, I'd rec. joining the Ameraucana Alliance or Ameraucana Breeders Club.

Back
Top Bottom