I ordered some blue ameraucana from Cackle last year and yours actually looks a lot like mine if they didn’t have the beard and muffs. Yours is quite a bit lighter than mine as well.
The muff and beard are what make ameraucana’s so cute, so I can completely understand why you would be upset! I think if the hatchery is advertising a true ameraucana, then it should have all the characteristics of one.

The bird in question looks like she has a beard, just not a full one. I’m guessing she is an Ameraucana but not well-bred.

Hello! Long story short, can anyone confirm if it's possible for a Blue Ameraucana to be without a muff or beard?

I was under the impression that they always have a muff and beard and that the Meyer ameraucanas are true ameraucanas; Meyer's website even lists them as having beards and muffs.

I messaged Meyer Hatchery with this picture asking if they maybe sent me the wrong breed, but the response was that maybe it's an Ameraucana with no muff.... so is that possible? I'm just wondering if I'm being unreasonable or not. I've never seen any images or videos of no muff/beard ameraucanas before, and I don't have any previous experience with the breed.

I love my bird, but I can't shake feeling like the wool is being pulled over my eyes. Would feel much better about it if someone with more experience could clarify.

Thanks 🙂

View attachment 3707794
I have a blue and splash that have beards and muffs from Meyers, neither look like this

Hey everyone! Thank you all for the responses! I thought I would update since everyone was nice enough to give advice.

I did end up getting the bird refunded. I worked up the courage to message the hatchery after seeing all these posts. There wasn't too much push back, besides them stating that their Ameraucana's are not bred to standard. After I stated a whole bunch of people thought I did not receive an Ameraucana hen they gave in and refunded me.

Funny enough, she started laying green eggs right afterwards (greener than my green queen's eggs too!), not blue like they said she would 😅 So I'm pretty sure she's an easter egger at this point!

I do have a Meyers egger that looks like
Hey everyone! Thank you all for the responses! I thought I would update since everyone was nice enough to give advice.

I did end up getting the bird refunded. I worked up the courage to message the hatchery after seeing all these posts. There wasn't too much push back, besides them stating that their Ameraucana's are not bred to standard. After I stated a whole bunch of people thought I did not receive an Ameraucana hen they gave in and refunded me.

Funny enough, she started laying green eggs right afterwards (greener than my green queen's eggs too!), not blue like they said she would 😅 So I'm pretty sure she's an easter egger at this point!
An Ameraucauna..she was my meal maker on one of my orders where I got ameraucana..her coloring is very slightly off, but her body is pretty standard

I do have a Meyers egger that looks like
An Ameraucauna..she was my meal maker on one of my orders where I got ameraucana..her coloring is very slightly off, but her body is pretty standard
Oh, maybe they were switched 🤔 🤷‍♀️ I'm sure it happens.

Here's my girl all grown up now, still with her 5 o'clock shadow and no beard 🤣

Attachments

• 20240209_152420.jpg
    20240209_152420.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 18
Oh, maybe they were switched 🤔 🤷‍♀️ I'm sure it happens.

Here's my girl all grown up now, still with her 5 o'clock shadow and no beard 🤣
She's definitely not pure, because her comb is a modified pea comb, but that is a beard she has, it's just scraggly. :D

Back
Top Bottom