Easter Eggers or Ameraucana???

I'm thinking about hatching some eggs with him and my ISA Browns.
Put him over your barred Rock hens and you'll have sex linked green eggers
smile.png

I could do both! What would coloring be for both make and female with the barred cross?
Both males and females will be black, but the males will have a white spot on the back of their heads.
Here are some pictures of my black sexlink Easter Egger chicks I hatched a few months ago.
This one is male

This one is a pullet

This one is another pullet.

All six. I got 4 girls and 2 boys.

Your chicks will be basically black. males with a white spot on the head at hatch, females with a solid dark head. As they mature, they'll probably get some red color coming through. On the females it will be at the throat/neck/chest. On the males it will be in the sex feathers mostly--hackles and saddle feathers, and on the wings.

If your rooster is pure for the blue egg gene, all the pullets would lay green eggs. Thing is, unless you hatched him, you can't tell from looking if he's pure or not. He may throw some daughters that lay brown eggs from those crosses.

Would one get the same results if there where EE hens with a Barred Rock rooster?
Nope. With the way the barring gene works is that the hens can only pass their barring gene to their male offspring. A barred rooster, on the other hand, can pass their barring genes to both their male and female chicks. This is why purebred Barred Rock males look different (lighter) than the hens. Males have two copies of the gene, one from each parent. A hen can only ever have one barring gene, and it comes from the rooster.

Thank you junebuggena. This cross is one of 2 ways I am possibly thinking on trying in the Spring. Now I know what color the eggs will be. On another note I wonder what the chicks would look like if you crossed Black Jersey Giants hens with a Barred Rock rooster? Would all offspring be barred?

Thank you junebuggena. This cross is one of 2 ways I am possibly thinking on trying in the Spring. Now I know what color the eggs will be. On another note I wonder what the chicks would look like if you crossed Black Jersey Giants hens with a Barred Rock rooster? Would all offspring be barred?
I the rooster is pure (2 barring genes), than all the chicks will get one barring gene. Both male and female chicks will have darker barring like the purebred hens.

Thank you! May not want to do that then . . . My only other question is then - how about barred hens with Jersey rooster? I will leave ya alone after this one.

Back
Top Bottom