Easter Eggers

The blue egg gene is dominant meaning it will always express in the first generation of crossing a blue-egg layer to a brown or white. If you then crossed 2 of these offspring together 25% will have two copies of the blue egg gene, 50% will have 1 copy and 25% 0 copies. It's from that last 25% you would get brown or pink eggs but from the look of your eggs you have 1st generation hens that should all lay roughly the same color.

It’s been my experience that green is the most common color for an EE. I don’t think I’ve ever had a blue egg from a hatchery EE. But keep your fingers crossed, it’s definitely possible. If you want blue eggers consider Ameraucanas or some of the other blue egg varieties that the hatcheries are making now.

I have some Cream Legbar/Leghorn crosses at 2 months old now that I'm counting on to lay lots of large blue eggs and a Cream Legbar/Hyline Brown cross that will lay olive-coloured eggs but I got them from a backyard breeder not a hatchery. I imagine most hatcheries are producing their EE's by crossing an Araucana/CCL rooster to a prolific egg layer and outside of the leghorn most of the prolific egg-layers lay brown or tinted these days. which lead to green eggs.

They aren’t Olive Eggers.
They might be, those are a pretty dark green.
Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers are both crosses of a blue laying breed and a brown laying breed. They use many different breeds which make them all look different(plumage) and lay different shades of green...or blue....or other colors.
Some of my best blues came from EE's.

I’ve started getting lighter greenish ones that you might call blue. And maybe some pink ones, although they might be brown, I’m not sure.

I’ve started getting lighter greenish ones that you might call blue. And maybe some pink ones, although they might be brown, I’m not sure.
There are only white and blue shells.
Brown eggs have brown coating on white shells.
Green eggs have brown coating on blue shells.
The brown coating can be very light or very dark.
Then the bloom can add another aspect to the egg color.
Pink/purplish eggs are from the bloom on a brown egg.

Back
Top Bottom