Eastern Washington

We are getting our first chicken coop ready and we have been doing a lot of research over the last year as we prepare to start rearing chickens. We have decided that we would like to go with the Buff Orplingtons and I am wondering if most Eastern WA feed stores carry these in the spring or if there is a particular place I should look for them? Ordering online wont work for us because we only need a few. Thanks!
Here in Omak I believe that local feed store has extra buff orps, but here it is best to order from them so you know you get how many you want. Depending on where you are....go ask your local feed store. Also, I believe B$ would have some.

eta: Not sure what B$ is....I meant Big R. wow.

Last edited:
Thanks! We live near the Tri-Cities so I will check out some of the feed stores to see about pre-ordering. I appreciate the response!!

Just finding this thread... Hi everyone, I'm in Omak as well.

What time in the spring do people in the Okanogan/E. WA start hatching? I did mine a little too early last year, ended up with a 100% hatch rate, and was stuck with 40 peepers in my house for a month -- they were driving me nuts by the time they went outdoors. Anyways, I'm already getting excited for this years setting, but need to hold off for a while still..........

Just finding this thread... Hi everyone, I'm in Omak as well.

What time in the spring do people in the Okanogan/E. WA start hatching? I did mine a little too early last year, ended up with a 100% hatch rate, and was stuck with 40 peepers in my house for a month -- they were driving me nuts by the time they went outdoors. Anyways, I'm already getting excited for this years setting, but need to hold off for a while still..........
This thread is not quite as active as the Washintonian Peeps. I can't keep up with that one. But the BYC site has a ton of information. I have 20 Serama babies in my Serama barn right now, turkey eggs in lock down.

What kind did you hatch out? I will be setting some generic birds in February so they hatch in March. I talked to Heather at the feed store and she told me they would be ordering babies here soon.

Oh, Welcome. and nice to have someone else from Omak.

Hello everyone!!! I have not posted in forever! I am also in Omak!!! I just heard the feed store would be ordering soon as well .. I just have three girls at the moment, a mutt as I call her, lol she is salmon faverolle and no idea what else, a wyandotte(NOISEY this girl is) and a black astrolorp, she is our friendly one, she is the only one who will let us near her.. Of course she did not until we rescued her from two mean white legghorn girls, they were pecking her horribly. Those two have a new home and are happy there.

I am hoping to get more chickens this spring for sure! I am loving them more than I ever thought I would. LOL

I'm hoping to get more this spring too. This time I'm getting winter layers!!!! My current girls are lazy in the winter and I finally had to buy eggs
barnie.gif
Faverolles, Sussex, Australorps and Wyandottes are on the list of acceptables!

I'm hoping to get more this spring too. This time I'm getting winter layers!!!! My current girls are lazy in the winter and I finally had to buy eggs
barnie.gif
Faverolles, Sussex, Australorps and Wyandottes are on the list of acceptables!
My girls are Black Sex Links and Im getting on average, 6 eggs a day. The numbers are kinda low considering I have 6 laying hens and 3 laying pullets but Im still having to sell eggs. If you need some eggs, just let me know. as the weather warms and the sun comes out more (i forgot what the sun looks like) i should be getting even more eggs a day. Also, im selling some of my chickens if you would be interested or know of anyone local that would be. Selling 3 cockerals and a few babies.
wee.gif
My babies are growing fast and my coop will be too small here pretty soon

I love hearing from people on our side of the mountains!
Has anyone noticed an increase yet in the number of eggs they are getting per day? I know we are not very far into the longer day cycle yet but just wondering if anyone else has had an increase.
I also can't wait to get more chickens! This is our first year with them and we've has soooo much fun. We just moved and I think maybe I'll get a rooster and raise my own chicks instead of buying. I don't know if I'll end up with a reliable broody, tho. Nobody has tried being broody yet. Not last year or this year. Maybe the spring weather will help stimulate this response?
(If anyone has roosters for sale you should know I'm super cheap so I'm looking for a pretty much free Easter Egger rooster :) I'm also keeping my eye on craigslist because there always seems to be people who got chickens and wanted hens but ended up with some boys and need to find homes.)

Back
Top Bottom