Eastern Washington

Despite the concern about your man card you did a good job
highfive.gif
. And i don't say that just because I have been contemplating doing this myself.
thumbsup.gif
I am a man as well but am the only one in the house who knows how to use a sewing machine and has the inclination to use it. There are many "unmanly" things i do that could probably get my card pulled but it seems that I have always done what needed to get done irregardless of what gender has traditionally done said job. I remember my mom telling me as a young lad "I'll be d**ned if I have a male child who cannot sew a hem or put a button on his shirt". So it has always seemed a bit silly to me that we can only do things in our gender pool as it were. Keep on keepin' on.

Peace
-Cam-
Good post. I think I was misunderstood. Just having fun. that's all.

Quote:
Cam,

We must be about the same age, because my mother had a similar attitude. I can remember her telling me when I was 11 or 12, "No son of mine is going to grow up being female dependent."

I have been taught to sew, knit, crochet, do needle point - both counted and freehand. I can follow a recipie (just can't spell it) or cook from scratch, I can make a cake that does not come out of a cardboard box. You will be hard pressed to make a better pie crust than mine (Thanks to Grandma Doering). I do all the canning/freezing. I can do my own laundry (ok that's easy).

I'm glad I can do those things

Good job, Velvett!
Just so you know, I'm an upholsterer, and in the trade there are lots more men than women, and they aren't fem's either. So no worries, you little sew and sew! You're no less of a man than you were before! Uh, how did that sound?
wink.png

Honestly, though, nice job! I had been wondering where you went

Well - this was a little funny .. the 'you sew and sew' part :)

I know you were teasing me and no offense was taken -- promise.

Also -- I give a darn about a "man-card" that was also an attempt at humor - maybe I'm less funny (looking) today that normal.

Velvett,
ya.gif
Whew, (huge sigh of relief), thanks for posting. I've lost friends because of written words. Spoken is much easier to get the whole concept. No, "man-card" was funny. You always make me laugh, I just don't always say so. I was just trying to recriprocate.
Anyway, It is a cool bag. It made me think of a big burlap bag I've got that says "Wildflower Farms" on it that would make a neat bag to hold groceries. I went to the Issaquah Fred Meyer store a couple weeks ago, buying my daughter clothes for her new job(Yakima county courthouse). I'm so proud of her, so decided to dress her up in clothes that I couldn't really afford, but she couldn't afford to show up for work in her usual garb. Anyway, they asked if I'd like to buy a paper bag for 5 cents. I said "no, I'll just take a plastic bag". Wow, they don't provide any bags for anything! It's the whole town of Issaquah! So long story even longer, I think we should all get used to reusable totes. They're a big fat pain in the butt, but so was the sight of several plastic bags blowing into my yard yesterday from the neighbors. Actually, messy neighbors are a bigger pain than the plastic bags.
Love that Grandma taught you to make a great pie crust. I never had a Grandma, but sure enjoy being one. I've been trying to teach my Grand to sew. My own daughters hated it.I LOVE it.
So thank you for saving the day for me!

Cam,

We must be about the same age, because my mother had a similar attitude. I can remember her telling me when I was 11 or 12, "No son of mine is going to grow up being female dependent."

I have been taught to sew, knit, crochet, do needle point - both counted and freehand. I can follow a recipie (just can't spell it) or cook from scratch, I can make a cake that does not come out of a cardboard box. You will be hard pressed to make a better pie crust than mine (Thanks to Grandma Doering). I do all the canning/freezing. I can do my own laundry (ok that's easy).

I'm glad I can do those things

I am glad i can do many of those things as well. It is rather surprising how often the plethora of skills comes in handy isn't it?

Peace
-Cam-

Back
Top Bottom