Eastern Washington

Hello,
I'm new and glad to see an Eastern Washington thread. I am near Walla Walla and am just building my coop. I have settled on Plymonth Rocks and to start with older chicks. I believe the 8-weeks are pullets? Does anyone know if Phinney's is still around? I heard it shut down? Also heard of Chick Chasers in tri-cities but they don't have their website up.

Welcome smurphy2000!
frow.gif

She's perfect and amazing! Thank you for asking. And yes, smiling all the time now, I love it!
big_smile.png
I'm dizzy with love. I love her giant apple-shaped head and her soft baby hair and her skin that smells like love.

We ended up moving the chickens feed inside their coop to keep it away from neighborhood birds. It seems to be working.

Ohhhhh Chaebird... she is just lovely!!! what a dolly!

and good idea about moving your feed into the coop... that's how I designed my coop, too. I mostly did it to keep predators out/away from the feed.

Chae, she is just precious. I used to love just holding my babies and smelling that special baby smell.

Lovinchicky, good work! You were partially right since skunks are in the weasel family, and they sure can decimate a flock.

Welcome smurphy2000! We are building a house on our farm outside of Dixie, so we are nearby too. I have a cream Legbar rooster who will be "coming of age" soon, so I should have an assortment of barnyard chicks next spring...
If your heart is set on the Rocks, I agree that poultry shows are likely your best bet if you don't want to mail order. If you don't mind a road trip I am sure you could find a breeder on the west side too. Good luck!

As for us, my DH got a bad disc herniation in his back (lots of pain and one leg is partially paralyzed), so he has surgery coming up soon. Looks like I am mostly on my own building the new coop, so it will take a bit longer. The house should be done mid-Nov, also later than we had hoped, but life happens. We will just be relieved when all of the moving is done and we can "nest" for ourselves!
Loving the fall weather creeping in, although I hope the mud holds off until our septic system is in and the big trucks are done hauling cement and gravel! Just a few more weeks, PLEEEEASE :)

Thanks for the welcomes! I have gotten a lot of info on this site. I am OK with other breeds, I would just need to research them. looks like I will be looking to spring for chicks. I really only need 10 crosses for meat and 5 or 6 layers for our needs. If anybody around Walla Walla is interested in splitting an order and raising them the first 8 weeks please message me. I'm sure we could work out a price :D

Hello,
I'm new and glad to see an Eastern Washington thread. I am near Walla Walla and am just building my coop. I have settled on Plymonth Rocks and to start with older chicks. I believe the 8-weeks are pullets? Does anyone know if Phinney's is still around? I heard it shut down? Also heard of Chick Chasers in tri-cities but they don't have their website up.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the welcomes! I have gotten a lot of info on this site. I am OK with other breeds, I would just need to research them. looks like I will be looking to spring for chicks. I really only need 10 crosses for meat and 5 or 6 layers for our needs. If anybody around Walla Walla is interested in splitting an order and raising them the first 8 weeks please message me. I'm sure we could work out a price
big_smile.png

Let me throw in my two cents worth for Buff Orpington chickens... they are amazingly fun, love to be held, are gentle, quiet and just lovies! I handled mine from days one -- couldn't keep my hands off them, actually! -- and they are sweet, loving big fluffy hens now. They are 5 months old, and bug eating machines! So... if you want a sweet, child/human friendly breed, Buff Orpies get my vote!

Chae, she is just precious. I used to love just holding my babies and smelling that special baby smell.

Lovinchicky, good work! You were partially right since skunks are in the weasel family, and they sure can decimate a flock.

Welcome smurphy2000! We are building a house on our farm outside of Dixie, so we are nearby too. I have a cream Legbar rooster who will be "coming of age" soon, so I should have an assortment of barnyard chicks next spring...
If your heart is set on the Rocks, I agree that poultry shows are likely your best bet if you don't want to mail order. If you don't mind a road trip I am sure you could find a breeder on the west side too. Good luck!

As for us, my DH got a bad disc herniation in his back (lots of pain and one leg is partially paralyzed), so he has surgery coming up soon. Looks like I am mostly on my own building the new coop, so it will take a bit longer. The house should be done mid-Nov, also later than we had hoped, but life happens. We will just be relieved when all of the moving is done and we can "nest" for ourselves!
Loving the fall weather creeping in, although I hope the mud holds off until our septic system is in and the big trucks are done hauling cement and gravel! Just a few more weeks, PLEEEEASE :)

oh owie for your hubs!! hope his surgery goes well... congrats on being this close to finishing your house!! yippee!! Maybe new house by Thanksgiving??

I have a 2 month old EE cockerel in Goldendale that's looking for a pardon. He has 1 week before his sentence is carried out. Anyone wanting to seek his pardon and take him home let me before next Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom