Eastern Washington

Thanks Rustyhen! I think I have finally figured out a tractor design I like. Yes, the weather is a roller coaster, especially when I add in the wind we have been having!

Hi all, wanted to introduce myself. We're on the South Hill in Spokane and just got our first chicks last month. Set out to get 3. Got 10. Good thing the local chicken ordinance changed so we can keep them all - if they are pullets. Our oldest eight are about 5-6 weeks and our two babies are 3 weeks old. Got a mix: 2 Black Australorps, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Light Brahmas and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Concerned we've got some Roos in the mix but time will tell.

Last edited:
Hey all! I've been MIA due to work, but things are finally slowing down. I just wanted to post an update on my starter coop. I went with a Trixie brand off amazon and I put it together yesterday. I've never constructed anything before, but I was able to get it together in just under two hours. Everything on the forums was pretty accurate about these guys. It's sturdy enough to move around, but I wouldn't want to do it too often. It doesn't seem like a long term coop, but this is my first try, so we'll see how it goes. I dug a foot deep trench and back filled it with hay. I saw where somebody had done this to facilitate the chickens composting their own waste by digging and scratching, so we'll see how it works for cutting down on smell. Now to finally get some chicks/chickens!

Good Morning...... Luckily someone on a different thread, posted about the Eastern Washington Thread, or I never would have found all my neighbors.... I'm 151 pages and 1500 posts behind....

Dave

Hey there all, I'm from Richland WA, and have three RIR's. They are two years old. I don't have any recent picture of the ladies, but here's one from last winter, when they didn't want to come out in the snow (I don't blame them). And also a recent pic from when we got a little tiny egg that was kind of cool (it had a little yoke and white and everything). Also, I posted the coop I built, and you can see that here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-frame-tractor-6x

Welcome pizzamanhoxie! Cute egg :). We got a couple of those last year, although one only had whites. I have to get coop building myself. Those chicks just keep growing :)

Good Morning...... Luckily someone on a different thread, posted about the Eastern Washington Thread, or I never would have found all my neighbors.... I'm 151 pages and 1500 posts behind....

Dave

Hi Dave! No worries, I haven't had time to catch up either. We'll all get there :D
Hey there all, I'm from Richland WA, and have three RIR's. They are two years old. I don't have any recent picture of the ladies, but here's one from last winter, when they didn't want to come out in the snow (I don't blame them). And also a recent pic from when we got a little tiny egg that was kind of cool (it had a little yoke and white and everything). Also, I posted the coop I built, and you can see that here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-frame-tractor-6x

Cute ladies and I like the tiny egg! I'm looking forward to my little RIR growing up. I'm amazed how quickly they lose their fluff! They're already flapping up a storm and plotting to escape the brooder, I just know it!

Back
Top Bottom