Easy Scalder Build !!

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
I am tired of doing the constant monitoring of the flame and water temp with the old turkey fryer over propane burner. I decided to make a scalder and trying to keep it under $100.
I ordered the temp controller and electric heater and so far that cost me $80. I may buy a slop/laundry sink for the tub which cost another $40. For now I will use my Turkey fryer pot to make sure it will work.
Here are the parts:
4DA9D962-6697-491B-ADAB-9FE951B6FAD7.jpeg AD855379-936A-4957-873B-0CB98C463F86.jpeg

Last edited:
Oooooh interesting.
is the price of electricity is more than gas?
I think you are talking very little money in between the both as far as running cost goes. Its more about being able to keep the temperature constant without always tending to the flame.
I am trying to keep it as easy plug and go as possible so anyone can do it and not have to start wiring. I’m thinking it should work pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Cool. I bought a premade one off someone that was made with a water heater element attached to a laundry sink. I'm not sure of the wattage or volume without going out and looking at it, but we used it all last season for chickens and turkeys. We do 65ish birds at a time, four times a year and a batch of 40 or so turkeys for thanksgiving.

The scalder works well enough, although I still keep a propane burner and tank in our abattoir because the electric can take FOREVER to heat up to the right temp and if it cools down too much or you add cold water at any point, forget scalding for at least 45 minutes. Last season, I was waking up several hours before processing started to go fill the scalder with buckets of hot water and then let it sit on for an hour or two before it was ready to scald. Once we got the kinks worked out, it worked really well and I think it made our system more efficient and easier to manage. But, since we did have a few issues, I have been looking into propane thermostats, which are very cost effective, but not quite as straight forward as the plug-in electric ones.

I'm interested in the advertised promise of "heats 5 gallons in minutes" as to what temperature it will heat it to and what is the start temp of the water.

Two more pieces of advice:
1) add some kind of cover to the laundry sink top. The water heats up noticeably faster with a cover - if its foam or insulated in some other way, then all the better.
and
2)always fill the water before plugging in the heater element and always unplug the element before draining the sink. I have a sign next to the outlet ours plugs into that says this so anyone messing with it knows. Your element will melt and be ruined (and may ruin your sink, and also may start a fire) if you accidentally leave it plugged in without being submerged.

Cheers to your project. and I'm looking forward to learning the results of the first test!

@iwltfum i almost went with the water heater element but decided not to. I’m hoping this works out well. I’ll likely keep the propane burner going also just to keep clean hot water at the ready. Going to be processing birds for others this year too and wanted something alittle more hands off so I could concentrate on eviscerating. Usually leave the scalding and running in the plucker to others. Should simplify and keep me from having to babysit. (I Hope).

Results are in !!!
Outdoor temp 53*F
Initial water Temp 87*F (I used hot water from the hose in the garage)
It was a slow process getting the water up to temp so after 50 minutes I went to the barn to do chores and by the time I remembered about the heater being on it was 2 hours later. Oops!! Soooooo I will guess that it took 1 1/2 hours to get the water temp up to 145*f. I absolutely love the controller. Set your turn on temp then set the off temp and that’s it. I also set the low and high temp alarms which is a nice feature.
Here are some photos:
Heater
6DF09DA7-5590-4B9E-B04B-77F4E86ED8D2.jpeg E599BD0A-5835-4D7B-8B01-6DBD614CAA8D.jpeg
Temperature Controller
9D1CF0B2-82A3-4E8A-8921-D11E3710471C.jpeg 35570BF6-8BB9-425B-B03B-12C4B04CEF99.jpeg 6D12F0AA-9D15-4594-8D34-0C121AEAB2FF.jpeg 9792A7D8-4381-4478-A6E1-F12808A47612.jpeg
Turkey Fryer test pot:
FB284A0C-0AE9-4743-B465-25B1A37B4C1B.jpeg 32DA156A-32E9-4466-8331-878B0FDD4B67.jpeg DCC0C28B-A4CA-467D-B7A4-BA3DA2E1AA48.jpeg 3ACDFE8C-5921-4B5D-9501-2B8E11B56840.jpeg
I made an S hook to hold the heater up out of the water.
Conclusion:
This should work really well BUT start off with hot water from the tap or boil some water to start with. Unless you are willing to wait for the water to heat up. I like the fact that I won’t have to babysit the water temp. With the alarms set on the controller it will beep once you are over or under preset temps. I can’t wait to put this to use!

Back
Top Bottom