Easy to build small coop ideas

Pics
1. If you main predators are rats and foxes, you'll want to cover any holes 1" or wider to keep rats out. And if your coop/run doesn't have a solid floor, dig a trench around at the base of the walls and bury an attached hardware cloth apron underground. That helps prevent foxes digging under.

The main downside is that I have to enter the run and lift the whole roof off the dog house to gather eggs. But not bad considering the house was free!
For rats you need 1/2" or smaller. I've found a rat with its head shoved through a 1/2" gap, so that's pretty close to being able to squeeze all the way in.

Also an apron lying flat on the surface around the coop/run works pretty well and is easier to install than a buried apron (especially with hard/dense soil, areas with tree roots, etc).

I used to have a dog house as a communal nest box - and mine was free as well! Lifting the roof off to get the eggs got pretty tiring after a while though, especially in the rain and snow.

I am looking for ideas for a small easy to build preferable cheap coop for 3-6 bantams, The space I have is 4ft by 4ft at maximum It can only be 3ft by 4ft if it is not walk in.

I am thinking of turning a plastic play house in to a coop what are the pros and cons of doing that?
Haven't read the comments but what is your climate? Your coop should also be based off that. Also will you move it, clean out everyday or deep litter? Closed coop or open coop to run? Also what predators do you have? A overly priced coop of the internet a dog can chew through. Raccoons can open many styles of locks. Chicken wire won't keep anything out besides birds and cats. Coyotes and foxes. will dig under a fence.

Spot's comments regarding cost make me think she could be in the UK? Perhaps some variation of this might work for you as the person posting the YouTube is in the UK.
I used this as a template and built my first coop out of recycled non cedar fence boards and two by fours. This lady appears to have used a school desk. It's pretty adaptable.

Haven't read the comments but what is your climate? Your coop should also be based off that. Also will you move it, clean out everyday or deep litter? Closed coop or open coop to run? Also what predators do you have? A overly priced coop of the internet a dog can chew through. Raccoons can open many styles of locks. Chicken wire won't keep anything out besides birds and cats. Coyotes and foxes. will dig under a fence.
If you look under my picture there should be something which tells you where I am. I don’t know what you mean by move it? Do you mean like a tractor style coop? I will be using deep litter. Rats and foxes.

I am looking for ideas for a small easy to build preferable cheap coop for 3-6 bantams, The space I have is 4ft by 4ft at maximum It can only be 3ft by 4ft if it is not walk in.

I am thinking of turning a plastic play house in to a coop what are the pros and cons of doing that?
A751D60B-4969-467D-9F43-FCE46ED36211.jpeg

This is what we are using for our Silkies. We wired windows 🪟

Back
Top Bottom