eating apricot tree leaves

sidney

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
My white rock and 2 barred rock chickens have been jumping on the tree and on the chain link fence next to the apricot tree and eating the leaves. They don't bother the cherry tree leaves at all but they did eat the cherries. Is this normal behavior and is it safe to eat because I read that the apricot seeds contain arsenic. Are my chickens lacking something in their diet? I do give them lettuce occasionally. These 3 chickens are less than a year old and they have so much personality. I just love them. They are my only egg layers now as my other 4 hens are over 4 years and have pretty much stopped laying. Any info would be appreciated.

So far as I know, those leaves are not toxic. Do they have grass or anything else green to eat? They do love greens.

I'm looking at my backyard now and I don't seen any grass. The girls used to free range on 1/2 acre until a fox took 1 of them. The fox kept coming back so I fenced them in to about 1/4 of that. I guess I'm going to the store and buy them some greens.

Back
Top Bottom