Eating eggs after using Wazine 17?

Here's my two cents - I figure almost every CAFO chicken laying eggs for human consumption gets regular antibiotic as well as wormer in its feed.

Now, granted, many people like me raise organically and ethically BUT people consume CAFO eggs every day and there are no reports of this directly affecting their health.

I have only had to worm once, I know this would make my chickens no longer "certified" organic however since they're for my own use I prefer not to let them suffer in the name of certification. We ate the eggs (piperazene was the wormer used) and did not notice any kind of off taste or personal side effect :):)

Last edited:
Hi, I realize this is a very old post...but I was wondering if you lived through the experiment? (haha) I am facing the same situation!

Piperazine is no longer approved for use in laying hens, and it does so little anyway, there's no point in using it anyway. Fenbendazole is approved, and gets many more parasites, depending on the dose and length of treatment, and has no egg withdrawal now in the USA.
Most of us grow chickens and eat home grown eggs because we want a fresher product, and would be very offended (at least!) to find out that some commercial grower was using unapproved products out there.
I'm happy to follow best practices whenever possible!
Promoting drug resistance is not a good idea at all.
Mary
This is very useful information Mary and I really appreciate your input! THANK YOU!!!! 😁👍🏻

I'm looking everywhere. I need..something I can stick in their water, reasonably priced, and I need thorough instructions.
It's better to just worm each individual bird. There's really not a good dewormer that goes in the drinking water. They settle out and don't mix.

Valbazen or Safeguard are both good choices.

For Roundworms Only, Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

OR

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight give orally once, then repeat in 10 days.
For an average size hen (large fowl) most folks just round up and give .50ml

@dawg53 has a pretty detailed account of how to administer Valbazen in this link. The technique can be used for administering most oral medications.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/top-soil-in-run.1518547/post-25568293

It's better to just worm each individual bird. There's really not a good dewormer that goes in the drinking water. They settle out and don't mix.

Valbazen or Safeguard are both good choices.

For Roundworms Only, Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

OR

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight give orally once, then repeat in 10 days.
For an average size hen (large fowl) most folks just round up and give .50ml

@dawg53 has a pretty detailed account of how to administer Valbazen in this link. The technique can be used for administering most oral medications.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/top-soil-in-run.1518547/post-25568293
Thank you..I thought water would be easiest..its gonna suck to dose them individually..can't anything be easy.....ever.

valbazen.jpg 1231780759885-746958466.jpg

Thanks so much..I actually got a hold of some valbazen. It seems like you guys like that one better? So I went for it. And I figured Ive never wormed my guys so it will be fine. There's someone on eBay selling doses. For 20 I got enough to dose them a few times..not that I will. Good rating on the seller too. Thank you for being so helpful. You have no idea how grateful I am..
Dose for both is in the post quoted below. You would give either one orally as described.
The Safeguard Goat dewormer, you likely can find at stores like TSC.

Back
Top Bottom