Eating the hen my dog killed

cdb1949

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 22, 2012
My dog, for the 3rd time, has killed a hen that flew over the fence. Can this hen be dressed? This is the 3rd time he has killed a hen that flew over the fence. Can this hen be dressed out and, later, eaten,? I've always heard if they are killed in that way the meat is not good to eat[. Such a waste

They don't necessarily have to be bled out. Some believe that it makes a difference in the meat, but it is still edible. The most important thing would be to get it gutted immediately, rinse the cavity and get the meat cooled.

If you get to it before the blood coagulates, and you clean or cook and freeze before your dog's bacteria populate in the flesh, you should be okay. Areas that don't bleed out, usually the side laying on the ground when you find it, will have darker colored flesh because of the blood remaining in it.

If you plan to make soup, you are good, especially if you cut apart the chicken first, as quite a bit of blood will come to the top of the pot as brown scum.

No different that harvesting a deer hit by a car that dies before it bleeds out. Some meat may be wasted, I would cut out meat around the dog's bites.

Dog bites are nothing to worry about nor is there a dangerous dog bacteria. People kill wild game with the assistance of dogs all the time the dogs retrieve shot game or attack/hold at bay hogs, coons or other game. I have never heard of any issue related to a dog holding an animal in its mouth or biting it for that matter

Even if you take the dog's saliva/mouth bacteria out of the equation, if you have puncture wounds through skin into flesh you have exposed it to soil bacteria, bird's own skin bacteria, etc.

Hog dogs are trained to grab the ears. Retrievers are trained not to pierce the skin. Terriers and such are trained to kill vermin without intent to eat, generally. In any case, prompt processing is a safe precaution.

No retrievers dont generally pierce skin however they are still holding an animal in their mouth which has a fatal bullet wound where saliva can enter, hounds often grab animals in anyway they can to attempt to make a kill on a wounded animal or one they are pursuing if they can catch it. I have bird dogs and hounds for years and what they are trained to do and what they actually do is not always the same thing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom