eating your pet open discussion

is slightly off topic but I just came back from holiday having left clear instructions to friends looking after the birds only to fint that the henhouse is locked with no way in leaving the hens outside over night the quail that I told to leave in with the hens had been moved allowing it to bully my other quails and overall a pretty terrible job

im not sure whether to say something or not but im quite upset at the state of the birds I love

Prime example of why I have not been on any vacation for 3 years. Just can't find anyone I trust to do the job like I do it. Sorry. Hope your flock is ok.

is slightly off topic but I just came back from holiday having left clear instructions to friends looking after the birds only to fint that the henhouse is locked with no way in leaving the hens outside over night the quail that I told to leave in with the hens had been moved allowing it to bully my other quails and overall a pretty terrible job

im not sure whether to say something or not but im quite upset at the state of the birds I love

I wouldn't say anything, but I also would not ever trust these "friends" with my beloved items anymore... Not even my house key. A real friend would do exactly what you said, and then some.... But you can't expect someone that doesn't have the same passion for something to even understand how your birds even work...

I had a Hahn McCaw years ago..went on vacation; friend was supposed to feed and water, that was IT. Ex hubby forgot to tell him not to open the door, feed him from the small door; his cage was outside on our deck and he wasn't clipped... My McCaw flew right out into the Rocky Mountain skies, never to be seen again. He didn't know that it would fly away...?? :(

Crushed. Never have taken a vacation since, and that was 9 years ago.

Prime example of why I have not been on any vacation for 3 years.  Just can't find anyone I trust to do the job like I do it.  Sorry.  Hope your flock is ok.

Yeah vacations are tough, why dairy farmers almost never take a day off much less a actual vacation. Some animals take daily or even a couple times a day care. Lucky my brother lives minutes away and I can trust him.
Until he moved over the hill from us my brother in law took care of our dogs and chickens, I don't like him and can't stand to have him around but I know he will follow instructions and cares about animals. Just one of those people that will offer to help, insists on it, refuses payment (he's a mechanic also) and then you hear he's telling people how much you owe him.

Last edited:
thats true but I will say tht we had two people doing it in shifts the ones on the second half (the ones I assume did it) saved one member of the flocks life last holiday so I do trust them. the person doing it was away when we asked them but I gave her husband clear instructions which is confusing thanks for the sympathy and I think they are all okay despite being out overnight in what was probably English rain

The lady which I bought my original six hens from, went out of town last summer for a family funeral. They were gone 5 days. She lost most of her flock because it was winter and the people she trusted to care for them did not make sure their water wasn't frozen. I felt so bad for her. Wish she would've called me to care for them. She said it was Christmas time and she thought I would be too busy.

I've got 2 older kids that live near but NO THANKS! Gave my step daughter chickens two different times. She has managed to kill them all. Now she is pregnant and says she is allergic to animals!! LOL! She is a dog groomer. Pretty sure she is just allergic to WORK!!
lau.gif

My son is some kind of muscle bound big shot that does not like animals, the smells, the noise or anything to do with animals. And I have heard him scream when he thought a spider was after him.
hmm.png
He does not take after me!

the lady who looked after them came over and said that she had moved the quail up to the other run because it was being pecked which says to me that she has gone against what I asked

I would rather have one quail suffer than the five that give me eggs every day

These are many of the reasons I made sure my coop/run setup was all automatic. My feeder holds 2weeks worth, my waterer also holds 2weeks worth as well as the winter heated version.

My run is predator secure(I used to say proof, but nothing is perfect), which allows me to leave my pop door open 24/7.

We've had this setup for 3years now and no issues with going away for a week or more. I just ask the neighbors if they want free eggs to just help themselves to them. If I didn't trust the neighbors I'd just let the eggs build up while we were gone and feed them back to the girls when we returned, but we can trust them so it's not an issue for us.

Not only does this setup make going on vacation much less stressful, it also makes the daily workload much lighter. If I'm not letting them out or giving them treats then we just check for eggs and go about our other business.

I'm right there too lol... Dog...not sure it would actually taste good... But raccoon, ostrich, fish...frog legs, ......they all are omnivores and they don't taste so bad...rattlesnake is tasty for a slithery thing... If its meat, its meat. If you name it, you might not want to eat it because then you gave it a personality too lol
wink.png

My first and biggest lesson in that was when I was 8. My first bottle calf... Norman. My buddy my pal, he was such a big baby... Played with him all spring and he knew me when they came back from pasture that fall... Best hamburger and steaks EVER. My school friends thought I was cruel. Lol I shouldn't have named him; that was tough
wink.png

I wouldn't eat my dogs... But one is my coonhound, so she has a JOB, and the other is a chihuahua... I might get 2 meals out of her if I were lucky lol; we HAVE joked about her meaty legs
wink.png

All of this reminds me of an episode of "All in the Family" when Archie asks Edith what she fixed him for lunch at work. She told him it was a beef tongue sandwich. He said he wasn't eating anything that came out of a cow's mouth. She asked him what he wanted instead. He said "Give me a couple of hard boiled eggs".

One man's meat is another man's poison.
smile.png

These are many of the reasons I made sure my coop/run setup was all automatic. My feeder holds 2weeks worth, my waterer also holds 2weeks worth as well as the winter heated version.

My run is predator secure(I used to say proof, but nothing is perfect), which allows me to leave my pop door open 24/7.

We've had this setup for 3years now and no issues with going away for a week or more. I just ask the neighbors if they want free eggs to just help themselves to them. If I didn't trust the neighbors I'd just let the eggs build up while we were gone and feed them back to the girls when we returned, but we can trust them so it's not an issue for us.

Not only does this setup make going on vacation much less stressful, it also makes the daily workload much lighter. If I'm not letting them out or giving them treats then we just check for eggs and go about our other business.

I want that set up! I spend the better part of 1-2 hours a day carrying feed and water back to the coop. And winter time
th.gif
I break the ice and refill the waterers before work and after.

All of this reminds me of an episode of "All in the Family" when Archie asks Edith what she fixed him for lunch at work. She told him it was a beef tongue sandwich. He said he wasn't eating anything that came out of a cow's mouth. She asked him what he wanted instead. He said "Give me a couple of hard boiled eggs".

One man's meat is another man's poison.
smile.png
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom