EcoGlow Chick Brooder

Not yet. Between the kids and the chicks and having to run buy a third waterer, I just now sat down. The divider got knocked overand I watched for a while to see what happened. The bigs ran around for a few and ignored the littles, but when they got bored, they pecked at the toes of the littles. One has a bruise on its foot now from this one that is particularly aggressive. I tossed them back in the bator until I can devise a better way. I suspect this is all that will hatch. Le sigh. Shipping is so hard on eggs.

Here yago. Three brand new Swedish Flower Hens!

ce4cd2af.jpg

Not yet. Between the kids and the chicks and having to run buy a third waterer, I just now sat down. The divider got knocked overand I watched for a while to see what happened. The bigs ran around for a few and ignored the littles, but when they got bored, they pecked at the toes of the littles. One has a bruise on its foot now from this one that is particularly aggressive. I tossed them back in the bator until I can devise a better way. I suspect this is all that will hatch. Le sigh. Shipping is so hard on eggs.
I hear ya. I have ONE in the bator that just hatched and that's the only one that made it to lockdown. :(

I'm trying again with hatching. I have 10-12 eggs from one place and a dozen from another shipping Monday. I'll set them together to avoid this sharing issue and hope for a better hatch.

I took a long strip of cardboard and cut out an opening for the brooder so they can share it and so the big kids stay on their side. I'll cut small holes so they can see each other when the littles get stronger and hope they can learn to get along.

After seeing the photo, and the PRICE I got to thinking.

Why not take the top of a Styrofoam incubator and place it on some bricks to raise it about 4 to 6 inches of the brooder floor. The incubator will still have the thermostat working.

Has anyone tried this??????

I am cleaning mine up after taking t from my 3-4 week olds to get it ready for the next batch.

I dunno about you, but I've touched the heater element for an incubator. Ouch. This works because they press themselves against the warmth. There is no fire hazard. I'd worry about shavings getting against an incubator element and catching fire.

Back
Top Bottom