EcoGlow Chick Brooder

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
I'm thinking of getting 2 of these this year for our baby chicks and ducklings rather than messing with the heat lamps. We raise our babies in a main room of our house and the lights are too bright at night (long story) plus they make us nervous that a fire could start when we're away. Having 1 lamp last year was hard enough, but having 2 this year (one for each kind of bird) i really think would be too many. We will have other supplemental light for them to keep them from piling on each other (night lights). Is the brooder a nice alternative to the lamps?

I also have both sizes of the @Brinsea EcoGlow and can't say enough about them! I've raised 4 batches of chicks with them and they are a GODSEND! No worries about fires, lights being on too long, raising or lowering heat lamps, buying extra bulbs or bulbs of different wattages, or using a lot of electricity! Plus, they are easy to clean. The chicks learn to regulate themselves, whether they go completely under it, lay toward the edge of it, or race around the remaining part of the brooder! The height can be adjusted easily and you can even place a piece of wood under one leg so that one side is higher than the other! I actually think that the radiant heat is better for the chicks instead of baking them under a heat lamp. Once the chicks are hopping on it, you can clean it off with a plastic ice scraper and then wipe it down with a lysol wipe. You won't be sorry if you buy an EcoGlow! They are fantastic! Remember to register yours right away and get an extra 2 year warranty. Also, Brinsea offers 10% off coupons if you "like" them on FB. Best of luck with your little fuzzy butts!

Just bought one for the chickiedees. I got the 50 since 26 will be arriving. I was going to wait till I saw if everyone will still love raising chickens after the first flock, since they are pricey. Well after our local news broadcasted about a fire I got on the net and ordered one. I was not paying much attention until they said "chicken coop" was only thing that survived, so I looked up. Then they said the family was going to raise chickens for eggs and that is how the fire started. It turned out the cat knocked the heat lamp off the brooder and that is how the fire started. Everything was destroyed except for the cat and the coop. After that I there was no way I was going to use a heat lamp. I dont care if I cant eat for a week I would rather invest in the ecoglow than lose my house. Kinda of strange that story came on. I think it was a sign from above.

LOL! Congratulations, Melabella! Here's a tip for keeping your EcoGlow clean: cut a piece of Contact paper to size and stick it to the top. Add a piece of rubber shelf liner on top of that so it's not as slippery and cleanup is a breeze! Just peel and toss!

I am thinking I am pretty cool because I just figured out how to post pictures off of my computer! I am not computer savy, so this is big news here! 3 of my little girls, 3 days old, jumping on their EcoGlow20! mb

Dean, I find the EcoGlow units to be at least a thousand times better than using heat lamps!! I will never use heat lamps again.

I own two EcoGlow20s and one 50 unit and have used them for over two years and LOTS of sets of chicks and even a few turkey poults. Oh, and some ducklings and goslings, too.

I use both sizes of the EcoGlow brooder as well.
For me the EcoGlow relieves me of the 'worry' that comes with using a bulb.
I no longer have to worry about a burned out bulb during the night, or a possible fire, or the lamb falling or breaking, or the light being too bright 24/7, or the light being too hot, etc., etc., etc.
The chicks can move under the brooder if they feel they want some warmth or protection.
Now I wish they would make a see-through EcoGlow, so we can watch the bitties while they sleep.
big_smile.png

I can't recommend the EcoGlow enough. As a first time chicken raiser, it takes a lot of stress off. There is no fumbling with thermometers, lights, worry about fire. Plug and play. The chicks manage their own temperature. Sleep under it if they're cold, outside of it if they're hot.

If you're reading this and on the fence about buying one, get one NOW. I mean NOW. Also, the energy saving will pay for the EcoGlow in no time.

I'd like to know the answer to this too as I am thinking of buying one, think they only run on 18 watts power which is great, I have ceramic heat emitters which are good and don't emit light to heat the chicks but they use much more power and the lamp gets in the way I think the brooder would be much safer, but can the chicks not jump up on it and get out the brooder box? that's the only thing about it for me, it looks like it provides them with a step up!

I'm going to raise my chicks in a 2' x 4' stock tank this year with a baby gate over the top to keep the cats out and chicks in. So even if they get on top of it they still won't be able to get out. I'd think the brooder would be much safer and save on my electric bill. That heat lamp made us so nervous last year and it was really hard to get the temp right using it in the house.

Back
Top Bottom