EcoGlow Chick Brooder

First night with my chicks last night, and was so very thankful I dug deep and bought the EcoGlow as we lost power, and had to bring the brooder box into the house from the barn where we have a generator. I would never have slept if there was a heat lamp in here, no doubt. I do have a question for experienced EcoGlow users, I have the EG on the lowest height adjustment, and even though my chicks are only 3 days old, they seem a bit large for it. Is it ok to raise it to the middle setting, or should I just leave it on the lowest for now?
Wow, great testimonial!

When they need to warm up, they go lay down under it, so it really doesn't need to be at their standing height. Part of the beauty of the EcoGlow is that it acts like a mama hen, they cozy up under it and like the contact of the unit with their backs just as they would a hen. The height is easily adjusted inbetween pre-set height levels by putting blocks or other level items underneath the legs. When brooding chicks of different ages, this works great b/c you can raise just one side of the unit and both groups of chicks are happy!

Thanks for the response, I do see them laying down, and have also gotten over the fear they had collapsed! lol, you experienced members must laugh at some of the things you read from us newcomers. So happy to have found BYC!

MB

Thanks for the response, I do see them laying down, and have also gotten over the fear they had collapsed! lol, you experienced members must laugh at some of the things you read from us newcomers. So happy to have found BYC!

MB
Nope, no laughing here. All I need to do is go back to some of my first posts to see the types of questions I asked when I was new and that gives me perspective if I lose it. ;)

I am thinking I am pretty cool because I just figured out how to post pictures off of my computer! I am not computer savy, so this is big news here! 3 of my little girls, 3 days old, jumping on their EcoGlow20! mb

LOL! Congratulations, Melabella! Here's a tip for keeping your EcoGlow clean: cut a piece of Contact paper to size and stick it to the top. Add a piece of rubber shelf liner on top of that so it's not as slippery and cleanup is a breeze! Just peel and toss!

I am thinking I am pretty cool because I just figured out how to post pictures off of my computer! I am not computer savy, so this is big news here! 3 of my little girls, 3 days old, jumping on their EcoGlow20! mb

thumbsup.gif
Great idea about the contact paper!

Well, hm. I'm really wishing I had two. I have some week old babies and some day old babies that just hatched, with hopefully more hatching today or tomorrow.. The week old guys are picking on the day olds. Do you think it's too early to take away the Eco from the week old's for the newborns? They are indoors and it's about 75 in here at all times. Or is there a way to divide the space underneath?, like with some cardboard or something?

Well, hm. I'm really wishing I had two. I have some week old babies and some day old babies that just hatched, with hopefully more hatching today or tomorrow.. The week old guys are picking on the day olds. Do you think it's too early to take away the Eco from the week old's for the newborns? They are indoors and it's about 75 in here at all times. Or is there a way to divide the space underneath?, like with some cardboard or something?
It is too early to take the brooder away from the week olds for sure. You could try using hardware cloth to make a divider between the two groups in the brooder, including underneath the EcoGlow. Within a few days, they should be getting along just fine.

Back
Top Bottom