Economy Cooking from your pantry

I just made a "must go" soup.

I have just gotten rid of a houseful of guests and was cleaning out the fridge this morning. I had half a can of black beans, half a can of kidney beans, half an onion, a couple of wilting carrots and half a summer squash. I thawed out some homemade stock and sauted a rasher of bacon. To the bacon I added diced onion and vegetables and when it was translucent I added the stock and a can of stewed tomatos. I let it simmer for a while, then added the beans, some seasoning and some remnants of pasta. I now have a delicious soup for dinner which cost me very little cos the guests provide most of the ingrediants.
tongue.png

I can make a quick and easy cobbler from pantry items that my family loves.

1 large can of fruit (we prefer peaches)--my "large" can of peaches was 29 oz. if that helps you know what size I mean
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)

Mix the flour, sugar, milk, and melted butter. Pour the canned fruit over the top, including the juice. Bake at 375 degrees until the top starts to brown.

It's very easy and we usually have these ingredients on hand. My family can always depend on me for this easy dessert.

Last edited:
Asparagus risotto

I adapted this recipe (from http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1886398) based on what I had in the house. It was a great way to use the asparagus that I'd canned last year & over-processed. DBF doesn't like asparagus but will eat this recipe.

Must-have ingredients
pint jar of home-canned asparagus
quart of home-canned chicken broth
2 cups arborio rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

optional ingredients & uses are in italics
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used some leftover previously-sparkling wine)
1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided (this is the most expensive ingredient)

Preparation
1. Place asparagus and 1 cup broth in a blender; puree until smooth. Combine puree, remaining 2 cups broth, and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.

2. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. (Stir in wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.) Add 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining puree mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in the cheese if you're using it. If not, stir in extra butter.

3. Stir in salt, and pepper. Transfer risotto to a bowl. Serve with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.

Quote:
For some reason.....this sounded so good.
tongue.png

Thank you. It turned out to be the best soup I've ever made (which isn't saying much cos I don't make it that often
big_smile.png
). I forgot to mention that I also added some shredded red cabbage.

frow.gif
Great news!!! I was listening to a re-broadcast this morning from Focus on the Family...."Frugal Living"....
tongue.png

<
smile.png

A lady named Jonni McCoy her book is titled "Miserly Moms".....a lot of what they talked about I knew already, but it was good advice....thought some of you might be interested....I want to read it too!
What REALLY caught my attention was another book when I typed in my search....$5 Dinner Mom Cookbook...by Erin Chase
I am going to ask my library to order it...and then, once I read it, if it's good, will purchase...however...do any of you already have these books? Let me know!
~
smile.png

Jonni also has another book titled Healthy meals, that is a handbook to her shopping. Found these to be of interest.
smile.png

Here is a link to see the titles and prices!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0764206419/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=4322041065&ref=pd_sl_551ehbzqmj_e

Edited in the correct names and titles

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Cowboy Stew.....

1 lb ground hamburger meat, browned and drained
1 large can of corn, drained
2-3 large cans of ranchstyle beans, not drained (3 cans if you need to stretch the meal)

Heat all together and serve!!! My kids like to add louisiana hot sauce and fritos to it.

Parson's Wife :

frow.gif
Great news!!! I was listening to a re-broadcast this morning from Focus on the Family...."Frugal Living"....
tongue.png

<
smile.png

A lady named Jonni McCoy her book is titled "Miserly Moms".....a lot of what they talked about I knew already, but it was good advice....thought some of you might be interested....I want to read it too!
What REALLY caught my attention was another book when I typed in my search....$5 Dinner Mom Cookbook...by Erin Chase
I am going to ask my library to order it...and then, once I read it, if it's good, will purchase...however...do any of you already have these books? Let me know!
~
smile.png

Jonni also has another book titled Healthy meals, that is a handbook to her shopping. Found these to be of interest.
smile.png

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0764206419/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=4322041065&ref=pd_sl_551ehbzqmj_e

I read here all the time-
http://www.5dollardinners.com/
Do not have the book though.​

A friend's brother had this recipe when he was in college and its the best way to stretch a pound a hamburger for tacos I have ever found.

1 pound ground beef or turkey
minute rice
1 can of refried beans
1 package of taco seasonings

brown the meat, drain, add seasoning and water and minute rice. Cook for a few minutes until rice is done, and then stir in the beans. You can add more rice to stretch it either further.

Let simmer until all blended and hot and serve just like you would a regular taco. We love it.

Another one that is really good, and I just posted on another thread on here yesterday is the baked beans/biscuit casserole.

Mix up your baked beans like you normally do, add a pound of browned hamburger that has been drained. Mix together. In a large baking pan, 13 x 9 or larger, spread out cans of biscuits and pinch together to make a crust. Pour the bean/meat mixture over, sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350 until biscuits are done, about 20 min. Delicious with a tossed salad~

Parson's Wife :

frow.gif
tongue.png

<
smile.png

~
smile.png

smile.png

This book is at my local grocery..I haven't yet bought it but am thinking hard about it. It's only $14.99! That's 3 dinners!! lol​

Back
Top Bottom