Educate me on putting horses out to pasture..*UPDATED WITH PICS* 4/24

bufforp89

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chenango Forks NY
I have two horses that I got about a month ago. Both Appaloosa mares, one is about 15 years old and one is about 7.

At their original home that I got them from they were on 6 acres of lush pasture. When I brought them home they were put on a dry lot and have been there ever since.

I am now considering a move for them closer to my home that would allow me to be with them more.

At this new place there are 55 acres divided into 8 pastures that I am able to have free use of for my two mares as well as a really great barn. Rent is super cheap, its like literally right down the road from my house and overall just perfect.

I have some questions about letting my horses out to pasture though.

Is it wise to let them out on it right away because they have been on pasture before or should they be introduced gradually? If so how do I go about doing that? Is founder going to be a huge concern or no because they have been out to pasture for 5+ years before coming to me?

Is pasture going to be ok to make up a bulk of their roughage? Or am I going to have to provide hay as well? What about grain? Right now they get grained 2x daily and hay 4 times daily...

Obviously I know nothing about horses on pasture so if someone could assist me that would be great! Im going to see the place tonight or tomorrow afternoon so pics are coming as well...

Last edited:
I would reintroduce slowly. They have been off for a bit and its a different pasture as well. I generally hand graze for a few mins at a time adding up the time till they are eating an hour or two at least, then I turn them out in the evening for a bit- so I know my horse will want back in. Then I gradually work the hours up till they are out for a whole day. Its slow and tedious, but I have never had a horse founder or colic doing it this way.

Agree. Stick to only a few minutes a day and very gradually increase, even after that introduction phase, plan on having a time limit and not leaving them out all day. Spring grass is growing like mad now and lush pastures can be quite dangerous - laminitis wise.

Laminitis is a 'feed overload' disease. It disturbs the circulation, releases toxins, and can injure, cripple, or even kill horses.

Horses in a wild state probably grazed on very sparse, dry pastures. Feed overloads were rare. If they did get a feed overload - they died, and no one noticed.

Last edited:
You wont have to add hay until winter, as long as the grass holds out. If this summer is real dry and the grass stops growing, then yeah you might have to add hay. Fabulous that you found such a place so close to you.

I always like to have hay around whether we're using the pasture or not. There are many times when the horses can't go out on pasture - when it's water logged, right after it's limed/fertilized, when the fence is damaged and they could get out, when there's lightning storms. Horses need to eat something on those days.

Quote:
Oh, absolutely gradually, as gradually as possible since they haven't been on grass for a good while. Past history makes zero difference, what matters is their *recent* track record. Go as incrementally as possible under the circumstances that are available. It can be hard if you don't have a drylot or similar arrangement available though. Keep an eye on their feet and demeanor for the first month or two, so's to catch any incipient problem right away.

Is pasture going to be ok to make up a bulk of their roughage? Or am I going to have to provide hay as well? What about grain? Right now they get grained 2x daily and hay 4 times daily...

With GOOD pasture they are very unlikely to need any grain or other concentrates, nor hay, as long as the grass is doing well. You will just have to play it by ear as the grass slows down -- at the end of the growing season, and sometimes in midsummer too especially if droughty. Also it depends on how good the pasture IS. Just let them be for a month and then see where you're at. Of course they'll need hay any time of year when pasture is insufficient, i.e. winter (in most of the US) and sometimes midsummer as well; also some hay initially while you are getting them used to pasture.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Thanks for all the info! I willl take it as slow as possible...Luckily I hand graze them daily where they are now so that wont be so bad. I was thinking that I can put some fence up to create a smaller paddock within one of the large ones and just let them gradually work themselves up as suggested. I am going to be there 2-3 times a day anyways (ha I mush be kidding myself, I dont think I will ever leave!) so it wont be much of a chore to let them out for 15 mins a day daily.

That brings me to another point, is 15 mins too much to start? Could I do like 15 mins for the first week or 2 then go up to like a half hour-hour for a week or two, then 2-3 hours for a week or two, then like half the day for a week or two, then days for a week or two, then they would be able to be out days and nights? Its not like they get absolutly no grass where they are now, I am constantly moving the fence around to incorprate a little strip of grass, then when they graze it down I move the fence back and let it build back up + the hand grazing they do now, maybe 15-20 mins 3x a week......

I also may be taking in a 20 year old TB that someone I know has. He is wonderful! And it will be so great to have another rideable horse! So excited! I also get to keep some poultry there, moving my geese so they can graze and going to move a few breeding projects to keep them better seperated.

I just cant believe my luck, all for $100 a month...

I think you could move them along faster than that. Every 3 days or so. Watch what they are putting out the other end... if their poop is runny or very soft step back an hour and give them more days at that time. It all depends on the grass quality and their own systems. Your older throughbred may take more time to adjust then your young horse... or maybe not. I keep mine at the level of the slowest adapter because they are happier together. Once they can do a full day I have mine out 24/7 with a loofing shed for bug/wind/rain protection.

It sounds as if you've found a great place.

Last edited:
I dont have the older TB yet but he is already on pasture where he is so Im not really worried about him as much....Just wondering about the girls....Every 3 days or so sounds much more reasonable.

Went to the rental property this afternoon. It was awesome. Will require some cleaning up in the barn but will be so worth it for the low price I am paying. The fence is in excellent shape. High tensile wire, 6 strands by the road and about 5ft high and 5-4 strands everywhere else
ep.gif
There is also a super old chicken coop that I may move my geese and some ameraucanas into.

I will have 2 really huge pastures to use, will only graze in the one near the barn, the other is across the street but is super secluded and great for riding, lots of gentle slopes and some woods.

Some Pics!

The large barn and some of the outbuildings
37655_0424111432b.jpg

Barn Door
37655_0424111452.jpg

Chicken Coop
37655_0424111434a.jpg

The fencing
37655_0424111424a.jpg

There are functional gates all over the property
37655_0424111451.jpg

A view of the pasture taken next to the barn
37655_0424111434b.jpg

From the bottom of the pasture facing the barn
37655_0424111430.jpg

Another different pasture, I will have 2 available for my useage
37655_0424111507a.jpg

A creepy old falling down house, we won't pasture anywhere near it though, just ride past occasionally
37655_0424111511.jpg

Back
Top Bottom