Neighbor's Horse

AidKD

A little bit of country is good for the soul
Premium Feather Member
Jul 6, 2020
Porcupine peak
So my neighbor just got a horse that I believe is a rescue horse. Fast forward a month and she is doing much better now and is running around the pasture. Well, she is the only horse and I think she's lonely. I've been going out for the past couple of mornings and petting her and feeding her grass at fence and I'll bring a treat. She always comes right over to me and will stay for probably 10 minutes before going out to graze. I have a few questions about her. I know hardly anything about horses. I'll post a picture tomorrow, but I'm wondering what breed she is and if there's any way to tell how old she is? Also, she just started putting her head over the fence and sniffing my face and getting her face really close to mine. Why? Is there any way to grow more of a trust with her? And how do I know that she actually likes me? She is a rather large horse and is always very alert. Sometimes she'll run and buck around the pasture. Thanks!

So my neighbor just got a horse that I believe is a rescue horse. Fast forward a month and she is doing much better now and is running around the pasture. Well, she is the only horse and I think she's lonely. I've been going out for the past couple of mornings and petting her and feeding her grass at fence and I'll bring a treat. She always comes right over to me and will stay for probably 10 minutes before going out to graze. I have a few questions about her. I know hardly anything about horses. I'll post a picture tomorrow, but I'm wondering what breed she is and if there's any way to tell how old she is? Also, she just started putting her head over the fence and sniffing my face and getting her face really close to mine. Why? Is there any way to grow more of a trust with her? And how do I know that she actually likes me? She is a rather large horse and is always very alert. Sometimes she'll run and buck around the pasture. Thanks!
@casportpony any advice?

You can tell the age of a horse by the teeth.
Yes, horses are flock animals and do better with other. Hope she will have soon some joining her.

She is most likely getting your individual scent when she gets close to your face. Yes, that is a trust thing. If she would not like you would she not come near your nor even check you out.

Looking forward for the picture of her.

You could probably ask the owner all these questions, give them a chance to brag about their horse! Horse people love to talk about their ponies!
I would, except she isn't around very much and it's probably going to be a while until I see her out! I will ask her name and everything once I see her though, which is hopefully soon!

Here she is!

Attachments

• 20230603_162003.jpg
    20230603_162003.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom