Educational: Alpha vs Queen

May 22, 2020
Texas
So we have been schooled so to speak, after losing a pullet last night, after removing a roo.

If your roo has a female buddy, that is called a "Queen" in the flock. She may not necessarily be the alpha female. Watch and see, is there another female that asserts herself as the alpha, does your roo put her in check if she picks on his queen?

If so, then you have an alpha vs queen situation. Do NOT, ever, leave the queen with the alpha, without the presence of the roo. You will most likely lose her, just like we did last night. We could also lose him now too, due to stress.

We were told it would have been better to move the queen with the roo, vs what happened. Or remove the alpha. Hard life lessons learned, and I just wanted to share this. In the hope it might help someone else and save a life or more.

How many birds in the flock, and why was the rooster removed ?
There were 4 Females and 1 Male (we have 6 more females to integrate this week) all the same age. We sold to good homes a single roo, and a bonded roo/pullet pair.

Someone here told me we needed to remove the last roo if he started mounting the hens, because they mature faster than the girls. (about a month ago or so) Our Vet said that is false today, if they all grew up together. So long as they are same age and same size, they would have been just fine. :(

Something else is going on. More to be learned on this one.
No it was totally an alpha vs queen, with the roo having been removed. It can happen and it did to us. The alpha finally got her chance to beat on the queen and not get reprimanded by the roo, resulting in her being pecked, some bleeding (not enough to kill her) and the stress was too much. The roo and EE were a bonded pair, best buddies and I made a simple newbie mistake in removing him. He wasn't there to protect her. You don't understand how vicious this alpha is we have. She is merciless and we finally removed her tonight when even the roo couldn't get her under control. I won't let her kill our last 2 pullets.

Back
Top Bottom