EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

So, I did day 21 candle on the ducks. Well, there's six still alive, and that's all the good I can say about them.

The CAMs are HORRIBLE. Just horrible. They only cover half the egg in 5/6 of the eggs. There is no way they can develop any more... The tops of the eggs look full like eggs at lockdown but they're still a week away from hatch. Only one egg has a complete enough CAM to have any hope for it at all.

Also, they have weird clotty things in the bottom part of the CAM, which I have not seen nor read about before. Any ideas, s'il te plaît?

I have 7 harlequin babies! What breeds do you have?

So, I did day 21 candle on the ducks. Well, there's six still alive, and that's all the good I can say about them.

The CAMs are HORRIBLE. Just horrible. They only cover half the egg in 5/6 of the eggs. There is no way they can develop any more... The tops of the eggs look full like eggs at lockdown but they're still a week away from hatch. Only one egg has a complete enough CAM to have any hope for it at all.

Also, they have weird clotty things in the bottom part of the CAM, which I have not seen nor read about before. Any ideas, s'il te plaît?
Hey bubbles......
I candle my AC eggs.....5 out of 24 were clears....... not to bad considering my birds are still young.
Picking up a couple dozen quail eggs this weekend.

Well, I've been working on canning all the chicken from the Saturday cull. Last batch just went in, waiting for it to come to pressure. I'll probably crash after it's done - if I'm not back on beforehand, goodnight, all! :frow

Hey bubbles......
I candle my AC eggs.....5 out of 24 were clears....... not to bad considering my birds are still young.
Picking up a couple dozen quail eggs this weekend.
Hi Phil :hugs
Great news on the AC eggs. What breed of quail? They're super fun to hatch.

Well, I've been working on canning all the chicken from the Saturday cull. Last batch just went in, waiting for it to come to pressure. I'll probably crash after it's done - if I'm not back on beforehand, goodnight, all! :frow
:frow :hugs

Thank you for all the info today. Super helpful.

I don't really have experience hatching ducks, but with chickens I've seen the clotty thing a few times. I don't remember any being alive - not sure 100% sure what it is, but it sorta looks like blood vessels burst. Hopefully someone else knows better. Sorry you're having a hard hatch. :hit

I don't really have experience hatching ducks, but with chickens I've seen the clotty thing a few times. I don't remember any being alive - not sure 100% sure what it is, but it sorta looks like blood vessels burst. Hopefully someone else knows better. Sorry you're having a hard hatch. :hit
Thanks. All these are definitely alive, they're just doomed, poor things. One looks to be on its way out though.

It happens. They were shipped, and it's always a game of roulette with them. Maybe #1 will make it despite the clots---the CAM was okay on that one.

:lau

Clearing my throat to prepare for opera practice - the thighs are in the canner now. Boneless white meat next. Thanks for your help and reassurance, MC. :hugs Every time I use the pressure canner after it's been a long time, I always get that "It's gonna blow up!" thing. Then by the second batch, no biggie. :clap

- Ant Farm
Haha! Jim Steinman can help with the arrangement. Rock operas are just so much fun!
I've never been worried about an explosion, but I have an All American anyway. Better for handing down to Duckling.

Back
Top Bottom