EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Good evening Benny. Really enjoying the delta breezes here today. May move some more of that free dirt I received to level out some of the area here.
The Wild Zaatar oregano from the Israel area is doing well although it grows slowly.
If you will have a lot of it, you can air dry it and then crush it in a mortar and keep it in a close glass jar. It will be wonderful on chees, hoummus ect.

I know! I don't trust her. Everyone knows you lock the guests in the basement.
More control.;)
I think that the less of action, or borefom in Canada, made you all ........
1385670471123_362578.jpg

Hello, I have an ongoing hatch right now with 10 barnyard mix and 7 serama. I've got 7 mix and 1 serama so far, all still drying off in the bator.

1 of the mix chicks has a bald spot on it's back, almost like the down stayed with the eggshell. Is that normal?

I've hatched a few button quail and attempted goose eggs, but was unsuccessful. This is my first chicken incubation.

I've been dry running the bator in my basement which turns out to be 35-40%. On lockdown, I raised humidity and it is about 85% now. I used an automatic egg turner until lockdown. Incidentally, I didn't expect chicks for 2 more days. Temps run from 99.5 to 100.5 but remain pretty consistent. ( which is why the bator is in the basement, I previously had wildly varying temps due to outside temps, day night.

So what's done is done, but would you advise anything to do differently next time?

Hello, I have an ongoing hatch right now with 10 barnyard mix and 7 serama. I've got 7 mix and 1 serama so far, all still drying off in the bator.

1 of the mix chicks has a bald spot on it's back, almost like the down stayed with the eggshell. Is that normal?

I've hatched a few button quail and attempted goose eggs, but was unsuccessful. This is my first chicken incubation.

I've been dry running the bator in my basement which turns out to be 35-40%. On lockdown, I raised humidity and it is about 85% now. I used an automatic egg turner until lockdown. Incidentally, I didn't expect chicks for 2 more days. Temps run from 99.5 to 100.5 but remain pretty consistent. ( which is why the bator is in the basement, I previously had wildly varying temps due to outside temps, day night.

So what's done is done, but would you advise anything to do differently next time?

What kind of incubator are you using and is it still air or forced air? Sounds like you did just about everything right. Your lockdown humidity seems too high though. I try to keep mine at 65-70%. Make sure that you test and calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer to make sure they're acurite.

Back
Top Bottom