EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Officially, Vegemite is "brewer's yeast extract, with various vegetable and spice additives." Again, if prepared properly, it's not bad. I had it spread over butter on toast and I know a lot of vegans who use it to add a meaty/salty flavor to soups and certain dishes. The flavor reminds me of Vietnamese fish sauce: salty, but with a slight malt-flavor you don't get in fish sauce. Both are natural sources of glutamate, but Vegemite also is an excellent source of B vitamins (B1, B2, B3 & B9) and is often fortified with iron, B6, and B12. It's also high in potassium.
Interesting! And weird. Lol

Interesting! And weird. Lol

More relevant to the discussion, I've found that MOST (not all though) Americans have a bit of a bias against fermented foods. Having a mom from Vietnam meant I grew up eating tons of fermented foods (soy sauce, fish sauce, kombu, and kimchi are all examples) so I can confidently say that there is a VAST difference between spoiled food and fermented food. If you've ever drank beer then guess what, you've also had fermented food.

Nowadays I live in Belgium, where we get old-school German fermented saurkraut and similar foodstuffs on the regular. So fermented foods are still a large part of my diet. Only reason I haven't eaten fermented foods in a while is because I'm pregnant, but I'll probably go back to that (and delicious farm-fresh raw milk) when he's born.

Well. . I do like beer. And soy sauce. I just never thought of fermenting for nutritional reasons. I've always thought of it as a flavor thing.

Nutritionists claim that sourdough makes nutrients more bioavailable. I dunno the facts behind all of it, I just know fermented foods taste good, haha.

Whenever I pick up the spent grain it doesn't stink actually smells pretty darn good. Perhaps when the grain gets wet at the elevator it's getting air allowing rot. I've made some pretty delicious breads out of the spent grain. All the grain at the brewery is kept in pretty sterile conditions as much as grain can be, inside large stainless steel tanks.
Don't listen to what bubbles says about the smell..she doesn't know what she is talking about...she doesn't have a nose.

I keep my fermented feed on my kitchen cabinet! :eek:
My house doesn't stink....I have plenty of noses around that would complain it if did.

Don't listen to what bubbles says about the smell..she doesn't know what she is talking about...she doesn't have a nose.

I keep my fermented feed on my kitchen cabinet! :eek:
My house doesn't stink....I have plenty of noses around that would complain it if did.
I couldn't tell.... But everyone else started complaining. So, I ditched it. :p

Even putting it in the basement didn't help. It wasn't a rotting smell, just a yeasty one.

I couldn't tell.... But everyone else started complaining. So, I ditched it. :p

Even putting it in the basement didn't help. It wasn't a rotting smell, just a yeasty one.
My DH might mention every now and then there is a wried smell coming from the kitchen.

I about peed in my pants laughing at myself right now!

Fun fact: the yeast sludge left over from brewing actually is highly nutrient dense. Aussies would know it as Marmite/Vegemite. When prepared properly It's not bad, but most Aussies like to screw with people and slather it on toast to see the disgusted reactions.

Ok now I'm going to have to talk with my brewer friend. I used to give that to my chickens mixed in with their food every day. Starting from scratch every meal. Yeast was refrigerated. Got to be too much work so stopped that. I'm sure he'll know how to make foodstuffs out of it.

Whenever I pick up the spent grain it doesn't stink actually smells pretty darn good. Perhaps when the grain gets wet at the elevator it's getting air allowing rot. I've made some pretty delicious breads out of the spent grain. All the grain at the brewery is kept in pretty sterile conditions as much as grain can be, inside large stainless steel tanks.
We get a butt load of spent grain from Bob's brewery buds. The wet stuff is the best. Spent yes but they drawl only the amount of liquid they need for the batch. We mostly get soaking wet grain. The wetness is the nutrients cooked out of it. And yes it smells good, I agree. We seal it up in air tight containers with O-Ring Gaskets. And it lasts a lot longer. ALTHOUGH we feed as a supplement ration not as a whole meal. It puts weight on a pig lickety split. Makes the Goats pointed hips go away and aids with Boo-koo egg production.
As long as we keep bartering eggs and pork chops to the beer guys, grain flows in for nuttin.
IMG_20170715_193904.jpg
IMG_20170715_193910.jpg

Almost nuttin. Exploded a tire on the trailer just before Irma hit us. The grain is so heavy. Must of been 2000# that load. Serious weight..

Back
Top Bottom