EE found on coop floor, half of head feathers are up, droopy eye

Coachmagurck

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2023
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I found my EE on the floor of the coop in the morning. She couldn’t stand and I suspected injury but gave her a soak just in case she was egg bound. She laid but has still been uncoordinated and not walking well today. She is away from the rest of the flock. She is eating and drinking well. Today I noticed her eye was weird and the feathers on the half of her head with the wonky eye are up. I’ll post pictures. She was resting yesterday but now she wants to be up and wont settle down unless my bf holds her. She has been panting off and on as well.
Any ideas from anyone? My areas vets are always full up for at least two weeks. Any help is appreciated
IMG_8394.jpeg
IMG_8384.jpeg

Can you get a more clear picture? Is her eyelid swollen or her head? Does it feel like air under the skin? Is there any gunk or bubbles in her eye? Is there any sneeze or gasping?

Can you get a more clear picture? Is her eyelid swollen or her head? Does it feel like air under the skin? Is there any gunk or bubbles in her eye? Is there any sneeze or gasping?
I’ll try, I’ve got a slightly better pic. The skin looks fine, I’ve parted the feathers and looked a bit. No discharge from her face. She is panting with some wheezing, sounds like heavy breathing not like an obstruction and its not loud. You can see the eyelid falling a bit
IMG_8437.jpeg

So there is no air under her skin that is making her skin puffy? With the eye, does it have bubbles? Is there mucus in the beak? With wheezing and panting, she may have a respiratory disease possibly.

So there is no air under her skin that is making her skin puffy? With the eye, does it have bubbles? Is there mucus in the beak? With wheezing and panting, she may have a respiratory disease possibly.
No bubbles, wetness or mucus. I believe the panting is due to pain or maybe internal breathing issues. I love my sweet Pepperoni, and I don’t want her to be in pain. I am extremely frustrated that pet healthcare is exactly like human(in the US) healthcare and virtually inaccessible when you need it.

Sorry to say she’s worse today. Panting nearly all the time and not eating or drinking. When I put food near her, she rubs her beak together but doesnt eat.
Looks a bit like coccodiosis now
IMG_8450.jpeg

You could worm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and again in 10 days. Or you can use SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1.25 ml orally once and in 10 days for roundworms. To treat most all worms except tapeworms, use that one for 5 consecutive days.

Does she have any enlargement of her lower belly that might be fluid (water belly) or egg yolk peritonitis? Water belly can cause labored breathing. EYP can make them very ill, and is usually fatal eventually. It is hard to know while they are alive what exactly is wrong, but many of us do a necropsy on our chickens that we lose.

Back
Top Bottom