Unsure what is happening

NagemTX

Dragon Chicken
Apr 14, 2022
Angleton TX
My Coop
My Coop
She was fine 4 days ago.

3 days ago she was sleeping more and fluffed up some but not alot. Was sun bathing with every one. I would reach out to touch her and she would take off like normal.

2 days ago she seamed a little lethargic. I would touch her and she would look at me and the walk off. Not quick but still normal movements.

1 day ago, yesterday. She was acting weird. Movements where uncoordinated, head moving funny and having trouble walking.

Today it's much worse and she hasn't been eating or drinking. Got her to drink a bit but not much and then she had a few bubbles at her mouth. She didn't have that till today. I haven't seen any discharge from noise or eyes. Doesn't seem to have swelling in the face. Eyes seem normal and she reacts to my hand around her face.

Will be uploading video of her soon.

Any pesticide use? Are there any machines sitting around leaking fluids onto the soil? How about a compost pile where spoiled food has been disposed of? Smell the feed bag. Does it have a fresh pleasant smell or is it dank and unpleasant? Have you noticed any mold in the run or coop?

Any pesticide use? Are there any machines sitting around leaking fluids onto the soil? How about a compost pile where spoiled food has been disposed of? Smell the feed bag. Does it have a fresh pleasant smell or is it dank and unpleasant? Have you noticed any mold in the run or coop?
Its very wet here right now and I have seen mold under the feeders. What I'm thinking happened tho is she likes to get out of the back yard and go in the garage to lay eggs and there is stuff that could be poisonous to them. So I'm thinking she drank something or was getting at bugs and got something in the garage that did this.

None of the others that stay in the back have any issues.

Feed is normal and fresh smelling. No pesticide use as of yet. We try to avoid that but there is an oil catcher with oil in it and water on top of that from the last rain.

No compost but there is a burn pile where we drag branches and burn cardboard and paper stuffs.

nothing in the her crop today. She could barley drink water when I helped her.

I really think shes gotten in to something toxic or poisonous.

She has definite symptoms of mold or petroleum distillate toxicity. If you think there's a possibility she got into some petroleum distillates, there is no treatment for that. But activated charcoal might be able to neutralize an ingestion of mold. Both cause lameness and increasing imbalance, uncoordination, and eventually death.

Blocking off access to the source of the oil is best if you don't want to have more chickens exposed. Even the tiniest bit of oil, hydraulic fluid or other automotive fluids will kill chickens. Likewise, cleanup of the mold will prevent more sick chickens.

Back
Top Bottom