I don't know what's wrong with my chicken

All the symptoms you describe point to another egg stuck. Chances are it's shell-less. Give her calcium citrate with D3 as in the photo below. Pop it whole directly into her beak and then place her in a crate on several towels to absorb her watery discharge. Make water with a little sugar in it available and also her regular feed. Then put the crate in a quiet, dim place and let her rest without stress.
Give another calcium tablet in the morning.View attachment 3799894

Attachments

• 17130084591125185689316336541213.jpg
    17130084591125185689316336541213.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 17130085213659021288125101494778.jpg
    17130085213659021288125101494778.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 3
Most of the stimulus to lay an egg comes from the salpinx/oviduct. Often vets won’t remove the ovary unless absolutely necessary due to its location and risk. However a healthy ovary can still produce and release eggs. So the surgery is not necessary a one-and-done solution to reproductive related issues. There may be ongoing need for ultrasounds to check for an active ovary and subsequent contraceptive implants.

If the ovary is active and releasing yolks into the abdominal cavity, it’s essentially internal laying and can result in EYP.

If only the occasional yolk is deposited into the abdomen usually the bird can reabsorb it and it doesn’t become an issue.

The implant also loses efficacy over time with repeated insertion. But a lot depends on the individual hen.
I think you guys are all lucky, I don’t think our vets know how to spell Poule (live hen wandering around) only poulet (chicken already prepared for eating)
Hugz

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your hen. Is her comb dark or purplish? My hen had similar symptoms recently.
I'd doesn't seem to be purple, though right now it's a bit cold so we've put towels to warm her under her

Attachments

• 17130105302373476239825943204303.jpg
    17130105302373476239825943204303.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 2
@Hens24 her eyes seem bright and her comb looks good. I would follow Azygous’ advice re: calcium and supportive care under the assumption it is another soft shelled egg. When the egg is stuck higher up it doesn’t block their ability to poop like how people usually talk about with eggbound hens.

She looks like a production brown chicken and unfortunately due to their breeding they are very susceptible to reproductive related issues. If you can find a vet who can give her the contraceptive implant it should give her body enough of a break to heal and reset.

Otherwise continue with calcium daily. Check her crop before roost to make sure she’s eaten and in the morning to make sure it’s empty. It might take her awhile to start feeling better on calcium therapy.

@Hens24 her eyes seem bright and her comb looks good. I would follow Azygous’ advice re: calcium and supportive care under the assumption it is another soft shelled egg. When the egg is stuck higher up it doesn’t block their ability to poop like how people usually talk about with eggbound hens.

She looks like a production brown chicken and unfortunately due to their breeding they are very susceptible to reproductive related issues. If you can find a vet who can give her the contraceptive implant it should give her body enough of a break to heal and reset.

Otherwise continue with calcium daily. Check her crop before roost to make sure she’s eaten and in the morning to make sure it’s empty. It might take her awhile to start feeling better on calcium therapy.
Okay, thank you, we can't really afford a vet right now, so we may follow Azygous' advice. she is a cinnamon queen hen, I will check her crop right now.

Back
Top Bottom