EE hen or roo ?

frstimeflock

Songster
5 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Oklahoma

What are the ages for both?

Both combs are a bit pink, but age will make a difference in gender identification.

Usually males will have 3 distinct rows of peas, and much larger, fleshy red combs. Girls usually have one main row of peas down the middle with smaller side hedges, smaller, less fleshy combs.

Also, can you get full body profiles?

Feather patterning is a big indicator in EE's.

Right now, I am leaning male for 1st bird and female for 2nd bird, but I need more information and better photos.

Black and white tends to be a male pattern, but there are exceptions.

Male EE's have blocky patchwork quilt type coloring while females have an even pattern, like a kaleidescope.

Hence, better side photos and info would help.

LofMc

I am thinking.
2 Roos
I am a newbie. Don't put to much thought into my answer. I don't even know my breeds, much less, sex.
My guess because of saddle feathers long and straight.

Good thought, but none of the photos are showing saddle feathers (long, stringy feathers just before the tail, cascading like a saddle), or particularly spiky hackle (neck) feathers.

The feathers generally look rounded from what I can see in both photos. That can be because they are female or simply young males as secondary sex feathering (sickle tail feathers, saddle feathers, and hackle feathers) often don't appear until sexual maturity, sometimes not until around 5 to 6 months of age.

Hence my question for ages as well as full photo shots....that should help us see the overall appearance of the pattern and feathers better.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom