Hens or Roos?

chickenlover0304

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
Are these hens or roos? havent heard any crowing yet but those tail feathers are throwing me off.

Attachments

• IMG_6502.jpeg
    IMG_6502.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 49
Hens. That is female specific coloring, no bird with that color/pattern will be male.

Exception: if the bird has hen-feathering (like in Sebrights). That gene causes a male to grow feathers the shape and color that a female would grow. Sebrights seem to be the most common pure breed with hen feathering, but the trait does exist in some other breeds and in some mixed-breed chickens too.

I do think OP's chickens are females, not hen-feathered males, but it is not quite true to say that "NO bird with that color/pattern will be male."

Exception: if the bird has hen-feathering (like in Sebrights). That gene causes a male to grow feathers the shape and color that a female would grow. Sebrights seem to be the most common pure breed with hen feathering, but the trait does exist in some other breeds and in some mixed-breed chickens too.

I do think OP's chickens are females, not hen-feathered males, but it is not quite true to say that "NO bird with that color/pattern will be male."
You're right, I always forget about henny feathered breeds

Back
Top Bottom