EE or Americana? How do you know which is which?

mkwags

Songster
10 Years
Jul 31, 2009
Davis County, Utah
I just got 2 hens that I was told were Aracaunas. After reading on this site under chicken breeds, I have figured out they are not Aracaunas as my chickens have tail feathers and I understand that those types of chickens are tail-less.

But, when I read the descriptions on EE and Americaunas they seem the same, so how do you know the difference?

If they came from a hatchery, they are EE's regardless if they were sold as Ameraucana or Araucana. In order to get pure Ameraucana's or Araucana's you have to get them from a breeder.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Uh oh. This is a loaded topic.

My advice is, don't obsess over what exact breed your birds are. Just enjoy them.

Last edited:
Araucana (no tail, no beard, green legs, very rare)

4996328244_9b84f81c36.jpg

Ameraucana (comes in a RECOGNIZED color, slate legs, beard)

5370872171_ed4bfd5598.jpg

Easter Egger (comes in any color, usually an unrecognized brown/black or white/black, can have any color legs, can have beard or no beard)

5276613106_0d87c96041.jpg

wink.png

If they came from a feedstore, local lady, or hatchery - They're Easter Eggers.

Thanks guys, especially for loading up pictures for examples. I really don't care what I have, I just like to be accurate when people come to my coop to be able to "talk chicken" and know what I have. I know the lady I bought them from ordered them from Mcmurray last spring, so I'll take your opinions as gospel and figure I have EE's. Thanks again.

I LOVE this site and my husband think I'm crazy as I talk about all I learn and read and laugh about on this site.

Back
Top Bottom