EE Rooster breeding with other breeds makes?

Book

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2012
Maryland
Mutts I am sure but what I mean to ask is, I have a EE Roo in with Light Brahms, a speckled sussux, black sexlinks, and a polish. (soon a New Hampshire Red, Olive Egger, Barred Rock) If he mates with them, what color eggs with the off spring have?

Can you breed EEs to EEs to get EEs?

The answer to your last question is a very complex one and basically boils down to how one defines an EE (some BYC members have vigorously debated this question). After all, EEs are hybrids to begin with and not actual breeds. Everyone agrees that if you cross an Araucana or an Ameraucana (both blue egg layers) with another breed, you get an EE. It's the next cross that is debated. I personally would not define a 2nd generation EE cross as an EE, but rather as a mixed breed that might lay colored eggs. I think the more important issue here is, will EEs bred to other EEs or to your other list of breeds lay colored (other than brown eggs)? The answer depends on which gene the EE parent gives in the cross. The EE has two genes, a blue one which it received from its blue egg laying parent, and a usually a brown one (it could be white depending on the breed used in the cross) which it received from its other parent. When the EE is mated to another breed (such as your Light Brahmas, Speckled Sussux,Black Sexlinks, Polish, New Hampshire Red, Olive Egger, or Barred Rock), if it gives the blue gene to its offspring, then its offspring will lay colored eggs (some shade of green in the case of your brown egg layers and some other pale color in the case of your white egg laying Polish), but if it gives the brown gene to its offpring, then its offspring will just lay brown eggs.

You explained that so well, it makes complete sense why a second generation EE wouldn't be called an EE as it might not even lay a EE colored egg. I take it that is the same with the EE traits with the thicker neck feathers?

I love my mixed flock but I am starting to see why some people stick to one breed or have different flocks.

Yes, exactly. You can see why, whether a 2nd generation EE is still an EE, can create such a debate. It would be nice if some authoritative body like the APA would establish a set criteria for when EE offspring stop being EEs, but professional organizations like the APA don't set standards on EEs because they are hybrids and don't breed true.

[/IMG] i got these to baby girls yesterday and was told they were EEs also girls i was just wondering if anyone with more experience could back that up?

I would guess those chicks are over a month old. I am no expert though.

What color are their legs?

Back
Top Bottom