Effectiveness of Marek's vaccine?

Silkies and polish are more susceptible. I've read Egyptian Fayoumi are resistant. Microchick has a really informative article on Mareks and they discuss how the different breeds have done in a Mareks positive flock.

Silkies and polish are more susceptible. I've read Egyptian Fayoumi are resistant. Microchick has a really informative article on Mareks and they discuss how the different breeds have done in a Mareks positive flock.
Is it possible to give a link to this?

What are your opinions of the real effectiveness of the chicken Marek's disease vaccine.
The vaccine can be very effective when done correctly and when understood. The vaccine is not made from Chicken Marek's, they use Turkey Marek's. That means you will not infect your other chickens by vaccinating a few. It cannot be transmitted to chickens because it is made from Turkey Marek's. Chickens cannot get Turkey Marek's.

The vaccine does not prevent your chickens from developing Marek's if they are exposed to it. The vaccine prevents the formation of the tumors that cause the problems. It is possible for a vaccinated chicken to transmit the virus to other chickens while showing no symptoms themselves.

This is interesting so. What I'm wondering now is if I want to breed for Mareks resistance than I should breed with older hens. That way I would know that they made it past what seems to be the most valuable age? Like if they made it to 4 then they have more of a chance of being resistant? Also if scaly leg mites are more of a genetic thing at least to get a noticeable amount. Then if I breed older chickens about 4 years old then by then I would prove be able to see if they got the leg mites yet and if not they probably won't. Or at least that's what I noticed in my flock.

The vaccine can be very effective when done correctly and when understood. The vaccine is not made from Chicken Marek's, they use Turkey Marek's. That means you will not infect your other chickens by vaccinating a few. It cannot be transmitted to chickens because it is made from Turkey Marek's. Chickens cannot get Turkey Marek's.

The vaccine does not prevent your chickens from developing Marek's if they are exposed to it. The vaccine prevents the formation of the tumors that cause the problems. It is possible for a vaccinated chicken to transmit the virus to other chickens while showing no symptoms themselves.
:goodpost:

This is interesting so. What I'm wondering now is if I want to breed for Mareks resistance than I should breed with older hens. That way I would know that they made it past what seems to be the most valuable age? Like if they made it to 4 then they have more of a chance of being resistant? Also if scaly leg mites are more of a genetic thing at least to get a noticeable amount. Then if I breed older chickens about 4 years old then by then I would prove be able to see if they got the leg mites yet and if not they probably won't. Or at least that's what I noticed in my flock.
I don't know about the mites, but correct for Mareks.

You can also hatch your own chicks and vaccinate them as you take them out of the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom