Egg air cell not progressing???

Goosey Girl

Songster
Dec 31, 2021
I have one goose egg at day 21 in the incubator that has not been losing the required weight. I have been dry incubating and it shows humidity at 25%, but the air cell is not growing the way it should. The little bird is very active in the shell and I figure the shell is just extraordinarily thick.

Has anyone encountered this before? I don't know what else I can do to get the egg to lose the weight. Any suggestions? What can I expect during hatch, if it makes it that far? I know the gosling will probably have difficulties coming out. Please share your ideas!!! The egg is Sebastopol. I am very familiar with the posts "Step by step guide to assisted hatching" and Pete55's awesome guide had to do so a few times last year. I just want to know what to expect with it. Thanks!!!

Are you misting the egg each day? Although it sounds counter productive the misting will actually draw more moisture out. Misting replicates a goose going off to eat, swim and poop as she would return to the nest damp and get back on the eggs.

Misting, cooling 15 minutes a day. All other eggs have been progressing fine with an expected 12-15% total weight loss, but this one egg that started at 191 grams has only reduced to 182 grams in three weeks, on track for maybe 6%. It should be weighing around 170 grams right now.
45B76739-2DE0-4C32-9A53-CC4795227645.jpeg
39E6555E-018C-4C77-B0C8-1D13A217A1F5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom