Egg Bound Chicken, PLEASE HELP!!

Sooo this same bird is egg bound again (at least that what I think it is) as of Monday afternoonish. She's been walking aimlessly in the yard sitting or just standing anywhere she likes with her eyes closed. Yesterday and Today I was able to get her to eat some tums, and then some calcium pills I mixed in with some grapes (and some with a syringe) as she won't eat anything else. I gave her the veggie oil and petroleum jelly on her vent, massaged her tummy, did the Epsom salt bath and left her in a dark warm place to hopefully lay the egg and nothing has worked so far. Ironically when we come outside to sit shell fly on us to sleep. Yesterday she felt better late in the evening (showing less symptoms) and when she woke up she returned to her old ways. I let her back in the yard the last hour or so and she's really blown up like a ball and now I'm really nervous. She's having mostly diarrhea with yellow and white, and not pooping a whole lot either. What can I do???

I am dealing with an EE that is prone to Egg Yolk P. I thought she was egg bound. Looks much like yours. She was in the nesting box for hours today and it's very hot. Brought her her inside and she was very lethargic, had liquid leak all over me, eyes closed and labored breathing. I also didn't feel an egg. Can't get her to eat or drink. She was sleeping but we were watching TV and I decided to move her into the bedroom where it would be quiet and dark. The move made her puke and she started gurgling. I think she is a gonner and it's most likely the EYP and not her being egg bound. Good luck with yours!

Well the only good news I can say is despite the fact she's showing a lot of symptoms of the egg bound and the eyp, she's still acting somewhat like herself. She's cleaning and grooming herself a lot, her comb and wattles are not pale at all but in fact bright red, and she isn't puking or anything like that.

These are from the last hour or so.. Any ideas or advice?

I did that a few hours ago for about an hour and she just stood in one place the whole time.. She's our only pet and I really hope she pulls through this :(

Yeah we're going to take her to a vet tomorrow afternoon, though I don't know how much the doctors will know about chickens. On the plus side she ate some dinner earlier.

Back
Top Bottom