Egg bound(?)hen

Sberrie

Songster
May 3, 2019
Delaware
I have a year old pullet, I've actually posted about her on here before. She seems very lethargic, had been walking around or standing with her wings drooped. Her stools are very loose and very watery. She already is a bad egg layer, and has had an issue where she acted like this before and ended up laying a pretty soft shell egg. Are these egg bound symptoms?
I've given her a warm bath and gently massaged her abdomen. She put herself up tonight and I just check on her and she seems to still be the same.

What are you feeding them? Do they have Oyster Shells available? What breed is she? When was the last time she laid?
She's an EE on an organic grower feed because there are younger chicks in there with them(13 weeks). There are oyster shells readily available and it has been several days since the last time she laid.

She already is a bad egg layer, and has had an issue where she acted like this before and ended up laying a pretty soft shell egg.
A soft shell coming down the pike often comes with the odd behavior.

Same bird as here?:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-hen.1307406/

Same bird hiding under the others?:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/weird-behavior.1326727/

There are oyster shells readily available and it has been several days since the last time she laid.
Is she eating the OS?
Might want to give her some 400mg calcium citrate with D3m crush it up and mix it into some wetted feed.
I would isolate her (to get the calcium into her and make some observations) in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

A soft shell coming down the pike often comes with the odd behavior.

Same bird as here?:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-hen.1307406/

Same bird hiding under the others?:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/weird-behavior.1326727/

Is she eating the OS?
Might want to give her some 400mg calcium citrate with D3m crush it up and mix it into some wetted feed.
I would isolate her (to get the calcium into her and make some observations) in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
Yeah it is the same bird as the other two posts. Shes definitely my little stressor.
I felt right behind her vent last night and felt something pretty hard, wasn't sure what though. But didn't want to press too hard. Haven't been outside yet this morning but will update when I go.

You can check to see if she's egg bound.
Thoroughly clean your hands and coat your forefinger in coconut oil or similar.
Smear a small amount of oil around your hens vent and gently inset your forefinger into her vent. Your finger needs to point slightly upwards avoiding the intestinal tract. You can insert your finger up to the second knuckle quite safely provided you are gentle.
If she is egg bound you will be able to feel the egg.

Ok so she seems to be doing a little better this morning but definitely not baseline. She's normally very chatty. She is still walking around all puffed up but was preening some. I found a soft, squished up egg shell in the coop. But it was just the shell. Her butt appears to be very wet and dirty even though I cleaned it off just last night. Could the egg have broken inside and she was able to get the soft shell out?

She's isolating herself and is just laying at the far end of the run. Hasn't even tried to eat. Going to give her another soak and then put her in the cage.

Back
Top Bottom