Egg bound silkie?

Hi just wanted to let you know she started to decline again. I stopped giving her her garlic for one day and she declined just like she was the first day. I felt inside her and felt a lump and I felt my other hens (2) one had a lump and the other didn't. I am completely lost and don't know what else to do so I am taking her into the vet tomorrow morning if they are open.

Yeah, sounds like egg binding. Make sure the vet is a chicken or avian vet. Otherwise they'll charge you a lot of money for nothing. I learned that the hard way. If you can't find one, there are instructions online to take out an egg. No surgery, just rubber gloves and vasaline. It sucks to do, but if you need to, it's worth it.

Hi just wanted to let you know she started to decline again. I stopped giving her her garlic for one day and she declined just like she was the first day. I felt inside her and felt a lump and I felt my other hens (2) one had a lump and the other didn't. I am completely lost and don't know what else to do so I am taking her into the vet tomorrow morning if they are open.
I’m so sorry. I think that’s the best option. I will be thinking of her and praying they can help.

Do you guys know if garlic helps with egg binding? As in pain relief. I have never dealt with this before.
I have never heard that, but just because I’ve never heard it doesn’t mean it isn’t true. You could post a thread and ask people what they’ve experienced with it. I’ve heard both that garlic is toxic to chickens in large amounts and also that it’s okay to give, so I don’t really have an opinion on it either way. I think some people give it as an immune stimulant. A quick google shows where someone claims it does help stimulate egg laying, so maybe? Anyone can post anything on the internet, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
IMG_3569.png

I wanted to update for anyone who has a hen that is having these symptoms. I took her to the vet this morning to see my hen shaking uncontrollably with her mouth wide open. It looked as if she was having a seizure. This was because she was struggling to get in oxygen. Anyways I took her in and the vet told me she had a bad resperatory infection. I found this weird because back in December my other hen had a resperatory infection. The vet told me that it was the type of wood chips I was using for their enclosure. She told me to change to large sized woodchips and to give her and the Rest of my hens rooster booster. She prescribed me some amoxicillin and told me she had a egg forming inside. So I got her the implant injection. For anyone wanting to give their hen this implant the estimated price for me was $300. I will update later on her progress for anyone who is interested. Thank you so much for the help. with your guys help I was able to get her stable enough to take her to the vet. Truly thankful.

I wanted to update for anyone who has a hen that is having these symptoms. I took her to the vet this morning to see my hen shaking uncontrollably with her mouth wide open. It looked as if she was having a seizure. This was because she was struggling to get in oxygen. Anyways I took her in and the vet told me she had a bad resperatory infection. I found this weird because back in December my other hen had a resperatory infection. The vet told me that it was the type of wood chips I was using for their enclosure. She told me to change to large sized woodchips and to give her and the Rest of my hens rooster booster. She prescribed me some amoxicillin and told me she had an egg forming inside. So I got her the implant injection. For anyone wanting to give their hen this implant the estimated price for me was $300. I will update later on her progress for anyone who is interested. Thank you so much for the help. with your guys help I was able to get her stable enough to take her to the vet. Truly thankful.
Oh my gosh really? Did she have any other signs of respiratory infection? I’m so thankful you were able to get her to a vet. I will be praying for your hen, what is her name? Yes please keep us updated on her. You’ve done wonderful caring for her, great job.

Oh my gosh really? Did she have any other signs of respiratory infection? I’m so thankful you were able to get her to a vet. I will be praying for your hen, what is her name? Yes please keep us updated on her. You’ve done wonderful caring for her, great job.
Her name is Eley and there was no other symptoms. I never would have thought of it as a respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom