I’d check her vent as asap. Simply so you can cross that option off the list if she isn’t egg bound. How is she holding her tail atm? And is she actively pooping? Hope she gets better soon.
Thanks 😊

Um… I think her tail is drooping down, if that makes any sesnse. I’ve only seen her poop once, but since she doesn’t eat, I’m guessing she dosn’t poop much.

Thanks 😊

Um… I think her tail is drooping down, if that makes any sesnse. I’ve only seen her poop once, but since she doesn’t eat, I’m guessing she dosn’t poop much.
If her tail is droopy then I’d check her vent. I literally JUST had one of my Orpington girls get egg bound, and her symptoms were quite similar to your gal’s.

Forgot to update, terribly sorry. Checked her crop. It is empty, but still feels “doughy”. I also did forget to mention in my frost post that she is losing balance.

hever saw anything, but this time, I saw just 2 little yellow-orangeish colored “bugs”. Lice perhaps? They are very tiny.
What do you mean the crop feels empty but doughy? So it has something in there right?

I would treat for a doughy crop or at least start giving her coconut oil twice a day an massage the crop.
Sounds like you may have found some bugs. Permethrin poultry dust or spray can be used to treat her. Look over your other hens really well too. It's a good idea to treat their coop.

Losing balance...make sure she's staying hydrated. You can give her poultry vitamins that contain E and B1 for a few days, hopefully those will help a little.

What do you mean the crop feels empty but doughy? So it has something in there right?

I would treat for a doughy crop or at least start giving her coconut oil twice a day an massage the crop.
Sounds like you may have found some bugs. Permethrin poultry dust or spray can be used to treat her. Look over your other hens really well too. It's a good idea to treat their coop.

Losing balance...make sure she's staying hydrated. You can give her poultry vitamins that contain E and B1 for a few days, hopefully those will help a little.
I meant that it FEELS like there isn’t anything in there. Just feels doughy.

Don’t have cocunut oil :(. I’ve noticed bugs on other hens. Need to treat that soon.

Ok, I’ll try. I tried checking for an egg, but her bum area is covered in poo. Like mustard yellow. I’ll check later. I also did see her do her “business”, and it was very runny and that same yellow color.

The yellow poop sounds like a reproductive infection or salpingitis. A doughy crop is not an empty crop. Crops slow down with reproductive disorders, worms, and other problems. Sometimes you can massage the crop several times a day if they are drinking enough, and it may break it up. But giving some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces can be helpful too. Treating lice every 10 days at least twice with permethrin is good, but also the coop should be treated after coop and nest bedding is removed. Lice eggs hatch every 10 days, and the newly hatched ones should be treated before they can reproduce.

It sounds like either a soft shelled egg has burst inside her or Egg Yolk Peritonitis. If EYP She will need an antibiotic asap. Baytril, Furazolidone, Chlortetracycline, Oxytetracycline are typically used for EYP. I would bring her to a vet though 1st. Poor little girl.

Back
Top Bottom