Egg bound

Thank you that was very informative...I'm going to try another warm bath...
Since I started using calcium I have not had to do any bathing and sometimes it works so fast they'll lay their egg while you're holding them.

That peahen would probably still be alive if she had given her calcium.

-Kathy

FYI, the longer she's egg bound, the greater the risk as other eggs will start coming down the pipe and that when you run into trouble. If you don't have any calcium, you can use Tums. If you don't have either, just go buy some!

This is very serious!

-Kathy

I had a hen the other day that was acting strange,tail down/funny walk,just not herself. I was undecided about egg binding,but gave her a tums before i did a cloacal exam,i was getting ready to do an exam when i found her in nest box laying egg. Not sure if she was or not,but the tums did get that egg out fast.

Wow! So they can be egg bound and not die...that's a scary thought. I will try to find a vet.

I had a hen the other day that was acting strange,tail down/funny walk,just not herself. I was undecided about egg binding,but gave her a tums before i did a cloacal exam,i was getting ready to do an exam when i found her in nest box laying egg. Not sure if she was or not,but the tums did get that egg out fast.
Calcium in egg bound hens is amazing stuff. It's definitely in my top ten must haves with Corid, Safeguard, Metronidazole and Baytril. Just the other day I had a 500 gram Modern Game Bantam that had a stuck sem soft-shelled egg, so I gave her calcium and E, then put her in a nest I made in my bathroom. What I gave her was enough that she laid down more shell and passed that egg. I'll take a picture of the egg, you can see small cracks from when I did the exam.

-Kathy

Wow! So they can be egg bound and not die...that's a scary thought. I will try to find a vet.
The longer she has the egg in her the greater the chance that she will eventually die from it. I sense a reluctance to give her calcium... may I ask why?

-Kathy

Since I started using calcium I have not had to do any bathing and sometimes it works so fast they'll lay their egg while you're holding them.

That peahen would probably still be alive if she had given her calcium.

-Kathy
Yes,i too have not had to do any bathing,calcium does work very fast.

You really need to give her some calcium. Egg binding in my opinion is similar to giving birth,and for whatever reason child becomes lodged and cannot proceed down birth canal,this then becomes life threatening,this is how serious egg binding can be. I personally cannot imagine how awful hens actually feel when egg bound. The purpose of giving calcium is to stimulate muscle contraction,which helps to expel egg.

Back
Top Bottom