Egg bound

As a side note: When my Polish was eggbound, I had nothing to lose at the point I was at. If I did nothing further, she would have died. I read as much as I could on this site, and then did my best. I did read to be as careful as possible NOT to break the egg, as that could cause internal injuries. I continue to learn and do things I didn't know I could with my chickens. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the advise...Im going to do the exam when I get home tonight! Im scared to death to do this but it's like you said, I have nothing to loose and hopefully gain an egg.

You need to do the internal exam and try to find the opening to the repro tract. Doing this will tell you if the egg has a proper shell and it will allow you to move it a little, which may help her expel it.

Before this happened, when did she lay her last egg?

-Kathy

I don't know when she laid her last egg. They are free range and it's been so cold the egg production had been super slow. This has been going on since Wednesday night though.

Thanks for the advise...Im going to do the exam when I get home tonight! Im scared to death to do this but it's like you said, I have nothing to loose and hopefully gain an egg.
I was too!! However, it was my 8yr olds favorite chicken, so I had to try. I started out tentative and unsure, but once I had moved my finger around a little bit, I started to get a feel for it. You'll be surprised that you gain confidence in just a few minutes and just "know". I took my cues also from my Polish who started pushing and trying to push the egg out while I was lubricating inside and up and as much around the egg as I could. There is also a membrane right at the vent (Someone will know it's name) that the egg was getting hung up on as well. Again, kept lubricating and stretching membrane ever so slightly. Egg literally just popped out! There was some blood, so just be aware of that going in. Not gushing, but there.
After, I cleaned her up and kept her warm and quiet (with her buddy) for a day, then watched her and kept her separate (with her buddy Polish) until her next egg. Just to make sure she didn't have any more problems.

I'm in TN...o/s of Knoxville. They have UT but they charge too much. I think I found one and she is going to call me today. It's probably 50miles from my house in Ten Mile. I also work so I don't know that's going to work out.

Okay... I'm going to do it. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I
You can. Going to a vet was not a realistic option for me. If it had been a serious injury, I would have looked at my options. This being a first egg issue, I couldn't invest the money, not knowing if it was going to me an ongoing "issue" for her, or a one time problem. I've got a great support group here on BYC and I have so far been able to gather information and "self treat" any problems. By "self treat" I mean finding the correct medication / dosing, or the right "procedure" to do.
Keep us posted.

Yes, this site is very informative. My rooster was sick last year with respiratory illness and I nursed him back health. It took 2 weeks of force feeding and watering but he made it! If there is not an egg in there, I will have to weigh my options. I hate to put her down! She's eating and drinking, very frisky. I just wish she would lay the **** egg!

Back
Top Bottom