Egg bound

Okay...she's soaking again. I called a vet today and the jerk never called me back! We are going to try again in a little bit.

Keep her warm/quiet/calm and in a dark location for awhile,then try again if egg has not been expelled. Give her the electrolytes now,i'm sure she is getting stressed.

Is her vent area really swollen,i am referring to the tissue?

Last edited:
Ten chicks... I'll be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't know a swollen vent from a normal one. My chickens are free range and I've never had a problem with the eggs. It doesn't really look swollen or protruding. Push out a little because of where the egg is.

She's not too stressed out yet. We are soaking now and going to try again. After that I'll let her rest for the night.

Thanks everyone one for the help! So stressful! If I didn't answer a question it's because the mobile app is not very good. My home internet is down until Tom. Thanks again!

Wow, it sounds really frustrating. At least your poor henny penny is still active and eating so far, but electrolytes and vitamins likely would be helpful since she is under such stress.

Perhaps something like a heating pad or a hot water bottle would be good for her enclosure, since you can't necessarily be soaking her constantly.

I was also wondering if anyone knows whether there are certain forms of calcium that are absorbed more readily and thus more likely to trigger muscle contractions that would help her lay the egg.

She has a heating pad in her box. She's been getting one tums per day for 4 days now.

I have a hen that I think is egg bound also. how do you give them the tums. I have tried it in cheese which she ate till she tasted the tums. gave in grapes and same thing. what other way is there?

Back
Top Bottom