Egg bound

no I haven't done it yet I wanted to try this before I did it. im hoping I don't have to
yesss.gif
. but I will tomorrow if I have to yes I know I should have already but since she had all the symptoms I didn't do it yet. I have massaged around and pressed and all that though and I haven't felt anything.

no I haven't done it yet I wanted to try this before I did it. im hoping I don't have to
yesss.gif
. but I will tomorrow if I have to yes I know I should have already but since she had all the symptoms I didn't do it yet. I have massaged around and pressed and all that though and I haven't felt anything.
Are you serious? I *never* would have suggested that you give calcium without verifying that she actually had a stuck egg!

he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

-Kathy

This will be my last post... I think your hen is very sick, green poop, low body weight, not eating, etc. I strongly suggest that you find a vet that can see her.

Good luck,
Kathy

I never said I was FOR SURE I said I THOUGHT because she had the symptoms. im not trying to be smart but you suggested it while I was saying I think along with the suggestions for the lady that started the post. everyone was saying calcium. My hen isn't that sick either. she isn't doing that bad. you said the green poop was probably from not eating which she isn't eating a lot. that's not nice to just leave me hanging here just because I hadn't done the exam. I never said I did I said I think she is. I don't know anything about being egg bound except for what I read. which all give different information. I have read don't put anything in their vent... put them in a warm bath... put olive oil on their vent.... in their vent.... soak them in Epsom salt..... don't soak them in Epsom salt..... put them in the dark...... let them go outside. you know its very confusing when you get a bunch of different answers and im talking about other places I have read not just on here. I realize I should have done the exam but she has the symptoms. I need help.

First do a cloacal exam,try and determine if she is actually egg bound b/c other issues have similar symptoms. Put on gloves w lubricant and insert finger into vent,see if you can feel an egg or broken egg.

If you feel an egg,then give her the tums or calcium tablet or liquid calcium. You can do a warm water soak for 30 minutes if you want,but i never recommend water soaks on birds that are lethargic/stressed/clearly ill as this can push them over the edge. Keep her warm,reason when birds are ill/injured they cannot regulate their body temp,keep her quiet/calm and in a dark location to pass egg.

You can lubricate vent externally and internally if you know she is egg bound,i recommend any personal lubricant such as K-Y personal lubricant or similar product,the reason that oil is not recommended is that it can go rancid and if you would not use it internally on yourself then it should not be used internally on hen. With this being said i realize that in emergency situations oil maybe the only thing that is on hand and many have used it safely.

Green poop is usually from not eating enough food,does she have any crop issues? Has she been eating/drinking? How long has she had green poop?

Last edited:
~~no, no crop issues. this is what her poop has been looking like yesterday and a few days before now its thick gooey green not all the time but several times. she isn't eating to great but she is drinking very good. I had been using mineral oil.

I don't think she is low body weight she is only 9 months old she is 6 and half lbs maybe a little heavier. she isn't completely mature. Kathy was helping me and giving me nice advice and then when I said I didn't do the exam she started telling me you have a very sick hen, if she thought that why didn't she say that from the beginning not just now. I know I should have did the exam but that was not necessary. but whatever its ok

What is that red spot in photo? Have you noticed any other red in poop,not counting shed intestinal lining,which is normal. Describe exactly how she is acting. Any new birds recently?

In one of your other posts you commented that you had taken two other birds to a vet and they both died,how long ago was this and what were their symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom