Egg changed colors after Broody

NewChickmom2016

Songster
5 Years
May 25, 2016
Got a surprise in the coop this morning - a WHITE egg! Our hens lay brown or green eggs! I'm pretty sure this egg came from the hen that was broody earlier this month. Same shape, but smaller, than her eggs. It was laid from the roost - right under her usual spot.

So, oh wise chicken keepers, has this color changing egg trick happened to any of you? And if so, did the eggs return to their normal color?

The hen is a Black Australorp, hatched 6/15/16 - so 14 months old. This was her first time being broody. She went 17 days without an egg.

thanks for any info!
-Jerie

Probably just very light brown - egg color doesn't change but the amount of brown can vary since it is more of a "paint" put on the white shell. However, I'd expect a darker egg if she hadn't been laying for a while, not lighter. Could it be any other chicken? Maybe a neighbor's?

Thanks FarmGal!
Very light- almost a bit of pink- perhaps that is in her regular brown eggs. Had to have been one of our 3 - all locked in for the night- no way to get out and no way for anyone to get in!
Will be interesting to see what tomorrow (or the next day!) will bring!

And today's egg is back to brown! Has to have been the same hen who laid both. Yesterday's egg is on the left, and today's on the right.
Anyone else have a change in egg color after a hen has been broody?
IMG_1709.JPG

'Spray booth' malfunction
You made me laugh!
Thanks!- I had not seen anything about eggs changing colors!
Was so surprised when I went out yesterday- there it was. My husband says- "who laid that???"
We are so use to 2 brown eggs and one green.
thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom