Egg changed colors after Broody

Chicken George to-
Never knew that! Did see a comment about the color of their legs changing as they got older.
so much to learn!
thanks!

Beak, foot or shank color, face color, vent color, eye ring and I forget what else are all parts of the body that fades or changes color throughout the laying cycle. There is even a known progression of changes that take place as the laying cycle goes through it's stages.

Once these changes take place they reverse themselves (the body parts redarken) in the reverse order that they lightened. So if the shank or foot was the first thing to fade in color it became the last part to regain its former color.

Some time in the last 5 years I posted on this progression but it is like aarp said something that is highly technical and that he or I do not recommend for the beginning BYC enthusiast to get embroiled in. Years ago the old fashioned, sustainable, heritage, non GMO, natural chicken farmers used this information to cull out the most non-productive part of their flock when the annual molt was due to begin. These guys and gals were a smart bunch and they saw no good reason to throw good money after bad money to feed a nonproductive hen.

Back
Top Bottom