Egg Eater Tips

ChickenMath88

Hatching
Apr 12, 2023
*Preface: Culling is not an option. If it were any other hen I’d have done it ready. This one and her sister were raised by my best friend’s son and I made a promise when he couldn’t keep them when they moved.*

Give me your best egg eater tips! I have a hen who I suspected was eating her own eggs, but has now moved on to eating everyone else’s too. 🤬

Changes that I made today: Added three more nesting boxes, two with covers; added 10 golf balls and 2 ceramic eggs spread between the nest boxes; added free choice oyster shell in a high quantity; added more nesting material to prevent breakage upon laying; collecting eggs 3-4 times per day to prevent access.

Next plan: Periodically drop the fake eggs and golf balls around the egg eater so she runs to it and is then discouraged; fill an egg shell with mustard and place it for her to find.

Anything I’m missing? I can separate her if need be, but I feel like that would be cruel for her to live alone.

What's their diet?
Blow out an egg and fill it with yellow dish soap, the others will learn the behavior if it's not stopped
Oh I’m aware. That’s why I’m working so diligently to try to address it.

Current diet: Feather Fixer pellets; black oil sunflower seeds; free choice oyster shell; treats of mealworms and fruits/veggies as they’re leftover. They also free range for an hour or two daily.

The local mill isn’t an option for feed. I’ve checked.

Oh I’m aware. That’s why I’m working so diligently to try to address it.

Current diet: Feather Fixer pellets; black oil sunflower seeds; free choice oyster shell; treats of mealworms and fruits/veggies as they’re leftover. They also free range for an hour or two daily.

The local mill isn’t an option for feed. I’ve checked.
Cut out everything but the pellets and oyster shell, they're diluting the nutrition from the feed. Other than that, it ok, but I definitely try booby trapped eggs of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom