Egg eaters... how bad can it get?

I'm caught because I don't always have time to deal with issues right away but she really is the friendliest of my hens. So if I've left it too late, I've ruined the entire flock.
I wonder if you set an over abundance of fake eggs about then she or they would try sampling them, have no luck and eventually give up?

I do have some and I did set them out. I don't know if it will do any good but yeah. I was wondering that too. I've already rehomed two roosters, culled one, I don't want to cull the hen but argh! Plus I've got one family member who REALLY likes chickens (but has nowhere to go with them) and when I mentioned maybe having to cull a crippled young one asked me "you mean KILL it?!!!" 😑 Like I WANT to do that... sometimes taking responsibility for your animals isn't fun but that's what it means to take responsibility for them. Yeah, I'm venting now, sorry!

I do have some and I did set them out. I don't know if it will do any good but yeah. I was wondering that too. I've already rehomed two roosters, culled one, I don't want to cull the hen but argh! Plus I've got one family member who REALLY likes chickens (but has nowhere to go with them) and when I mentioned maybe having to cull a crippled young one asked me "you mean KILL it?!!!" 😑 Like I WANT to do that... sometimes taking responsibility for your animals isn't fun but that's what it means to take responsibility for them. Yeah, I'm venting now, sorry!
Well yes, as animal owners we do have to be responsible for them and have a plan if they get sick, hurt or otherwise. Don’t feel bad, if that is one of your options, then it is.

If it were me, I would try placing more hard, fake eggs - golf balls, rocks, etc. and even, as suggest some real ones filled yellow soap. I mean a lot of them so that most of the time they’re pecking a fake egg versus a real one. Then as they (hopefully) begin to learn, you could remove some.

Separating her again could deter the others from doing it if she’s the instigator or the one doing most of the breaking of the eggs and the others only partake once they’re opened. Separating her again could also shake her up enough to deter her behavior. I would try both the fake eggs and separating before getting rid of or culling if she was mine.

We had a bad egg eating problem and I've been able to stop it for the most part. We occasionally come out to an eaten egg but it's usually my fault for not collecting often enough or not keeping dummy eggs in the nest box.

What I did was make sure they have lots of calcium so their shells are strong. I also layer a washable nest box liner under a hay liner off Amazon so there's extra cushion in there.

I have wooden eggs in each nest box and dark curtains to keep the light out. This way if they do peck at any eggs they're more likely to peck a wooden egg and give up.

I also collect eggs multiple times a day. The longer an egg sits out there the more likely they will get curious.

Free ranging and giving enrichment in the run helps too. I tried the roll away nest boxes and mustard/hot sauce eggs - the nest boxes were too small and they ate the mustard eggs just the same 😅

We had a bad egg eating problem and I've been able to stop it for the most part. We occasionally come out to an eaten egg but it's usually my fault for not collecting often enough or not keeping dummy eggs in the nest box.

What I did was make sure they have lots of calcium so their shells are strong. I also layer a washable nest box liner under a hay liner off Amazon so there's extra cushion in there.

I have wooden eggs in each nest box and dark curtains to keep the light out. This way if they do peck at any eggs they're more likely to peck a wooden egg and give up.

I also collect eggs multiple times a day. The longer an egg sits out there the more likely they will get curious.

Free ranging and giving enrichment in the run helps too. I tried the roll away nest boxes and mustard/hot sauce eggs - the nest boxes were too small and they ate the mustard eggs just the same 😅
Oh wow, LOL, those were some determined hens...! I work full time, plus help a family member with wound care, plus I've been under the weather myself enough to feel yucky... so I can't always do like I want to. I am gonna see how many I get when I go home and will probably end up separating her out. I feel like it's not a permanent solution but if I can buy time till I feel better that would help.

Well yes, as animal owners we do have to be responsible for them and have a plan if they get sick, hurt or otherwise. Don’t feel bad, if that is one of your options, then it is.

If it were me, I would try placing more hard, fake eggs - golf balls, rocks, etc. and even, as suggest some real ones filled yellow soap. I mean a lot of them so that most of the time they’re pecking a fake egg versus a real one. Then as they (hopefully) begin to learn, you could remove some.

Separating her again could deter the others from doing it if she’s the instigator or the one doing most of the breaking of the eggs and the others only partake once they’re opened. Separating her again could also shake her up enough to deter her behavior. I would try both the fake eggs and separating before getting rid of or culling if she was mine.

I will try your suggestions and see what happens. I like all the suggestions I've had so far, hopefully something 'clicks'.

I agree with what others are alluding to about a diet issue causing weak shells and the hen(s) breaking those when they check them after they’re laid. My Ravioli was adopted from a neighbor that wanted to cull her for egg eating. I would see her through the fence, her beak and comb sometimes covered in yolk. A lot of people warned me to not take her because she would teach my hens to eat eggs, too. We adopted her willing to try to deal with it. Once she was in our care I realized she was laying very soft/thin shelled eggs and she would check them after she laid them and they would usually break. She’s been with us about a year now and while she will not pass up a broken egg or a soft one, she does not go after solid eggs. My theory is that she laid soft eggs there and opportunistically ate them. Boredom may also have contributed to her eating eggs there - they were kept in a pretty small run most of the time. It’s also possible the big move to our flock shook her out of the habit if she really was eating hard eggs. Idk but I don’t think I would give up on her if you are really fond of her.
Interestingly enough she's an itty bitty Leghorn and lays huge white eggs. I wouldn't say her eggs are soft exactly but when you compare them to all the others, most of whom are brown or green, they are thin shelled. I didn't know they ever 'check' the eggs after they're laid but that would explain why she's not eating every egg. Unless I just happen on the eggs before she gets to them.

Interestingly enough she's an itty bitty Leghorn and lays huge white eggs. I wouldn't say her eggs are soft exactly but when you compare them to all the others, most of whom are brown or green, they are thin shelled. I didn't know they ever 'check' the eggs after they're laid but that would explain why she's not eating every egg. Unless I just happen on the eggs before she gets to them.
I think I read that it’s some sort of instinct to roll them or just nose them a little to do a little “is the job done” check after they’re laid. I do catch mine doing that when I’ve had the pleasure of watching them lay, but then they leave them alone.

I will try your suggestions and see what happens. I like all the suggestions I've had so far, hopefully something 'clicks'.
I’m glad to hear you will try for her :) Good luck!! Let us know how things go. And I’m sure you already do, but don’t forget to provide oyster shells.

I think I read that it’s some sort of instinct to roll them or just nose them a little to do a little “is the job done” check after they’re laid. I do catch mine doing that when I’ve had the pleasure of watching them lay, but then they leave them alone.

I’m glad to hear you will try for her :) Good luck!! Let us know how things go. And I’m sure you already do, but don’t forget to provide oyster shells.
That's just interesting! Also, after all that I got a full complement of six eggs today. After only three eggs in two days which is NOT normal. I have just put four ceramic eggs out there now and want to get an extra carton of fake eggs as soon as I'm able. I have not separated her out just yet. They are maxed out on the coop because I promised two of the hens and a rooster to the family member who likes chickens once she's situated, foolish me, so I was planning around a reduction in flock. The only other thing that's changed is that I gave them a rare treat of scratch grains. Would a change of diet like that make them skip laying? Also doesn't change the fact that I caught the culprit 'red beaked' eating her egg but I'm trying to figure all angles.

That's just interesting! Also, after all that I got a full complement of six eggs today. After only three eggs in two days which is NOT normal. I have just put four ceramic eggs out there now and want to get an extra carton of fake eggs as soon as I'm able. I have not separated her out just yet. They are maxed out on the coop because I promised two of the hens and a rooster to the family member who likes chickens once she's situated, foolish me, so I was planning around a reduction in flock. The only other thing that's changed is that I gave them a rare treat of scratch grains. Would a change of diet like that make them skip laying? Also doesn't change the fact that I caught the culprit 'red beaked' eating her egg but I'm trying to figure all angles.
Haha of course. They must know you’re frustrated with the egg eating! Hopefully those fake eggs help.

I don’t think sudden small diet changes would cause that. But I will say from experience the minute we start to give too many treats, Ravioli goes back to laying soft eggs and has even been egg bound on occasion.. She just needs the nutrients in layer feed and if the treats make it so she doesn’t eat her layer feed, she doesn’t get the right amount. I really shouldn’t be giving treats at all, honestly. I’m just a sucker for my chickens.

If you think that a crowded coop or run is causing stress leading to egg eating, you could try adding more vertical space for them to spread out. Things like roosts, shelves, ladders all make good use of vertical space.

Back
Top Bottom