Egg eating maddness!!!!

asthrngal89

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Kelly, NC
I have two Easter eggers hens out of my five ladies eating eggs as soon as the suckers come out!! So frustrating! I'm at my wit's end with this! I've tried the golf ball as the fake egg for them to Peck and get bored with I also try to get the egs out ASAP but seems as soon has they pop them out they turn right around and eat them! They are basically free range I move their chicken tractor twice a day and they are kept with food and water at all times.... Help!! And I can't eat my babies! I just love them!

my chickens dont eat their eggs but one friend of mine had some that did that. they moved their hens from one coop to another each day and made the hens stop laying but after a month or two you shoud be right to leave them in one coop. they should start laying again and may stop eating their eggs.

I have two Easter eggers hens out of my five ladies eating eggs as soon as the suckers come out!! So frustrating! I'm at my wit's end with this! I've tried the golf ball as the fake egg for them to Peck and get bored with I also try to get the egs out ASAP but seems as soon has they pop them out they turn right around and eat them! They are basically free range I move their chicken tractor twice a day and they are kept with food and water at all times.... Help!! And I can't eat my babies! I just love them!
How big(feet by feet) is the tractor they are confined to?(I assume they are confined to the tractor)
What exactly are you feeding?

Crowding and/or not getting enough protein and/or not getting enough calcium,
are 3 possible reasons you have an egg eater.

I was thinking maybe they weren't getting enough roaming space as well maybe... Thought about opening the tractor during the day letting them lose and closing them up at night and see if it improves anything.. I feed them egg laying pellets and they always have grass and almost everyday they get some.sort of kitchen scraps

My biggest problem.with this tractor that I'm going to have to rebuild are the nesting boxes...no matter what I put in them the girls scratch every bit of it out...so when the egg is laid it his the board and cracks leaving me with useless eggs and I think leading to the two hens eating them... I've tried everything I'm just going to have to make the boxes bigger and deeper I bought this tractor from a man ..it was pretty much rotten so I re built the wood and just went by his design except I added a front window... This nesting box issue is driving me crazy along with the egg wasting!

Back
Top Bottom